Adjusting Sights and Hopup

New to airsoft? Find out everything you need to know.
Keats
First Name: Nelson
Last Name: Pecora

Adjusting Sights and Hopup

Post by Keats »

Hi guys and gals. I just got a KWA M4, and I had a question about how to get set up. I assume I'll have to adjust the sights and hopup when the gun arrives, but I'm not sure the exact procedure.

Which do I adjust first? I have two places where I can test fire, inside (45 ft) and on my roof (100 ft). Since this is a field gun, I'm told I should be zeroing the sights for around 80 ft. Is this correct?

Do I test fire at 80 ft. and adjust hopup first, to get my shots straight, and then zero my sights? Or do the sights first? Thanks!

EDIT: I'm in Brooklyn, so firing on my roof carries a small amount of risk (I'm not too worried about that). I'd prefer to do all of this at a field where I can get help from professionals, though. Do fields like Stryker (in NJ) help with chrono-ing and adjustments like this, and is there generally time before games to do this stuff?

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Adjusting Sights and Hopup

Post by Moondog »

Keats wrote:Hi guys and gals. I just got a KWA M4, and I had a question about how to get set up. I assume I'll have to adjust the sights and hopup when the gun arrives, but I'm not sure the exact procedure.

Which do I adjust first? I have two places where I can test fire, inside (45 ft) and on my roof (100 ft). Since this is a field gun, I'm told I should be zeroing the sights for around 80 ft. Is this correct?

Do I test fire at 80 ft. and adjust hopup first, to get my shots straight, and then zero my sights? Or do the sights first? Thanks!

EDIT: I'm in Brooklyn, so firing on my roof carries a small amount of risk (I'm not too worried about that). I'd prefer to do all of this at a field where I can get help from professionals, though. Do fields like Stryker (in NJ) help with chrono-ing and adjustments like this, and is there generally time before games to do this stuff?

• Test fire at 80ft target
• Adjust hop-up until the BB flies level to the target (doesn't dip or rise along the way)
• Then adjust your sights to match where your BB's are hitting
• Turn UP your hop-up to increase backspin if the BB curves downward
• Turn DOWN your hop-up to decrease backspin if the BB curves upward
• Most hop-ups are adjusted via a dial or slider near the front of the gearbox where it meets the barrel
• Some hop-ups require a hex key or special tool to adjust or may require you to partially disassemble your gun

P.S. The Stryker field is wide enough that you can do your adjustments there but time will be very tight in the morning. Anyway, hop-up and iron sights aren't needed as much in CQB. A bit so at Stryker because the field has some wide open lanes.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Alon
Unverified Account
First Name: alon
Last Name: samith

Re: Adjusting Sights and Hopup

Post by Alon »

"Test fire at 80ft target" is this not too high to test??
Alon