AEG, AEP, EBB, Mini, LPEG and all other electrically powered guns

Moderators: primer, Shogun Mitsu

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Kwa Rm4 versus AS Asar4

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

So my main aeg, a Javelin/Aps affectionately named Maggy went down yesterday that I have been running since '09 with no problems, other than finding the perfect sized li-po for her. So now I'm at the "What should I get" stage... AGAIN!

I'm really not the buy 50 guns type of guy (contrary to common belief! :lol: ), but I'm more like the "What can I do to this gun to make it a beast, the moment I open the package?" type. With that being said, I've been eyeballing this Bulgarian company called Airsoft Systems since Shot Show '12, but I haven't heard much else since then... Maybe a little Side Boob shot of the Asar 4, but thats it... Then its back to the airsofters equivalent of flippin' BLUE BALLS!  http://www.popularairsoft.com/iwa-2012- ... ing-report
I really like the thought process that went into asar4, being that it is REAL competition to the Ptw's currently being sold for the price of a used car & the Asar being about the price of a new bicycle. 

Another make I'm considering is the soon to be released Kwa Rm4 from the Erg series.
http://kwausa.com/products/erg-rifle/rm4-pts-cqb/

Both the Asar4 & Rm4 will be priced about the same, so now it boils down to waiting & choosing between the two. The Kwa comes dressed in the Magpul furniture I love, but the Asar4 has ALOT of awesome features like a Quick Change spring, Split gearbox & a trigger system that rivals even the Ptw's. Another plus from the Asar4 is its ability to use ANY magazine & lock the bolt back when the mag is empty. Now, with all these features it may seem like a no-brainer, but then again theres things to be considered. 
1) Who is Asar & how reliable is their craftsmanship?
2) Kwa is known for unsurpassed QUALITY. 
3) Asar does NOT have the Recoil system that Kwa has. (Why didn't Asar add that also, if they added everything else?) 

I am leaning heavily in Asar's favor, but I'm a bit stuck on what I should do. I took a chance with my Aps in '09 & I'm happy with my decision, but what are the chances of me diving into unknown waters again & not getting eaten by a shark this time?  :o
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Kwa Rm4 versus AS Asar4

Post by Moondog »

I'd say go with whoever comes out first and then buy the other one when it finally shows up to market. IF it shows to market.

Both are essentially trying to do the PTW but one better in terms of realism in an electric powered gun. KWA has shown a record of solid engineering though not always perfect product testing (noted by the rather annoying BB jamming on the NS2 SMG mags like my Mac11 and your TMP).

I'd love to see a valid head-to-head comparison of a PTW AEG (by PTW I'm saying this class of gun such as the SYTEMA and this new KWA 3GX and similar) and a GBBR weapon and a PStar in terms of long term durability. By that I mean torture test them and see how many rounds it can fire until failure. And do it with more than just one gun of each type so you eliminate a lemon or freak failure.

Ultimately both a PTW AEG and gas powered rifle attempt to more closely simulate real steel in terms of feel of blowback and operation (ie. bolt catch, last round fired, etc.) but my casual observation of the durability of a $1000 PTW leaves me a little underwhelmed. So do GBBRs and PStars but they're more affordable and have far stronger (and realistic) blowback.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Reaper 278
First Name: Joseph M.
Last Name: Faillace

Post by Reaper 278 »

I like the idea of the ASAR 4, but I'm not sure of the quality or reliability for such a small brand, especially for a new concept of AEG. Like you, I'd like to see more than just a nip slip from those boys at Airsoft Systems, perhaps to levy more interest and support in the project, or to help with pre-orders (or something in that vein). I do however trust the quality and customer support of KWA. If it were my money, I'd go with the KWA if I had to buy one or the other. I might actually wait a bit after the ASAR4 came out to see it (see how its reviewed, see what the stores think about it, etc) before plunking down money.

I'd like for more companies to start looking into adding more functional realism (like functioning bolt catches, simple breakdowns, a trigger cut off when the mag is dry, etc.) into their AEG's (Like the ASAR4 and the ERG series). Right now the only systems that tend to follow near realistic functionality are PTW's, GBB's or GBBR's.

PTW's are truly the supercars of airsoft. They have realistic functionality and simple breakdowns, but are very, very expensive. Whether it's Celcius or Systema, you're going to spend over $1000 on an AEG (not to mention expensive replacement and upgrade parts).

I like the realism of GBBR systems, but they have a few drawbacks. The issue I have with GBBR's, is the cost. They tend to be in between $350-$450, which fall in line with mid to high-end AEG's, but the cost of spare or additional magazines is really high at around $40 per magazine. Most of those magazines only carry around 30 bb's, which forces you to carry more magazines than you would if you were running an AEG with 120rd midcaps. Amount of bb's per magazine aside, the cost of each mag is the real negative I see with running a GBBR as a primary, not taking into account the varying degrees of performance of Green Gas between hot and cold weather.

I also wish other manufacturers would take note of the various features found only on ARES, Magpul, KWA, and ICS (as well as the ASAR) platforms. Things like quick change springs, split gearboxes, realistic functionality, customization, etc. We're starting to see more companies (other than ICS) bringing out split gearbox designs, like the ASAR4, the new WE Katana AEG, and the Magpul PDR (I believe, could be wrong) so I assume it won't be long until these become more of a standard feature. The same can be said for quick change springs and things of that nature. Either way I'm excited to see where these companies go from here.
If it's a penny for your thoughts, and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny?

Callsign: Reaper
Primary: KWA SR7
Secondary: KWA M226 PTP

Member of Task Force 278

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

Great input guys, I'll take these pro's & con's into consideration when the time comes to pick one up. I myself am leaning heavily in favor of the Airsoft Systems Asar4 as a primary & getting the Kwa Rm4 Erg as a reliable back up. Time will tell. ;)
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379