Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

What AEG Should I Buy? - POST HERE!

Post by Moondog »

"What AEG Should I Buy?" or
"What's the Best AEG for under $___"

That's the question everybody asks, especially newbs. So please post your question here but first: Go to any airsoft retailer website (or go into the store) and look around. Ask yourself, what kind of weapon looks cool to me?

Some guys want to look like the soldiers today and want the latest version of the M16/M4. Some guys love the classic look of an AK47 rather than 21st century designs like the G36. It all depends on you.

Once you pick the gun that looks the sexiest to you, then research reviews on that gun. Use Google and YouTube and look for reviews from other boards (i.e. Arnie’s Airsoft, Airsoft Retreat, etc.).

Don't worry. All AEG's made by the same brand pretty much perform the same. It's just the external body and magazine type and battery that's different. So a JG MP5 is as accurate and reliable as an JG M16, as a JG G36, etc. But different brands do perform differently. Read the AEG Brands article for further information.

All right, go ahead and post your list of AEG's and we'll do our best to inform you or direct you to a source for making an informed decision.

FAQ
Q: "What's the Best AEG?"
A: There is no 'BEST AEG'. Everybody has an opinion that vary from person to person. It’s like asking, what kind what's the best car? Or what's the best shirt?

Q:What is the best AEG under $50 or $75
A: None. There is no reliable field ready AEG that sells for less than $99 (unless it's on sale or used.) The MP5K and MP5K PDW sell for under $80 but are made for CQB and have somewhat limited range and accuracy on larger outdoor fields.

There are LPEGs (Low Price Electric Guns) that sell for less than $50 but beware! They are a total waste of money for anything other than playing in your basement or a back yard. They have plastic internals and are glued together. They don't fire farther than a springer and don't last long.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

sk
First Name: Mr
Last Name: ski

Re: What AEG Should I Buy? - POST HERE!

Post by sk »

I'm trying to determine what AEG to buy for CQB play. After playing this weekend and lugging a replica M16 around (the Strike Force Sport rental gun) I realized that for snap-shooting and quick drawing, a large gun like this isn't that good for me. I am/was leaning towards a KWA SR7/DEVGRU (~330-350) for indoor use, but I'm starting to really think that something along the MP5 route would be better for my play-style for indoor and getting another gun altogether for outdoor use.

What are some of the best CQB MP5 or smaller guns that would provide:

1) light weight
2) high rate of fire
3) accuracy

As a paintball player, over time I've moved away from milsig guns to speedball guns because the milsim guns are just too heavy and clunky VS the speed and agility of the speedball guns. For airsoft CQB, I think I'd benefit most from a light / agile CQB gun.

EDIT:

Moondog had mentioned the "MP5K AEG" as a possible back-up gun. This might be a decent CQB gun as well?

ADMIN/EDIT: Sorry, this should probably be moved to: http://nycairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63
Former NEO FTL; Now rolling solo!

Tsuyoi
First Name: Tianwei
Last Name: Xiong

Post by Tsuyoi »

sk wrote:I'm trying to determine what AEG to buy for CQB play. After playing this weekend and lugging a replica M16 around (the Strike Force Sport rental gun) I realized that for snap-shooting and quick drawing, a large gun like this isn't that good for me. I am/was leaning towards a KWA SR7/DEVGRU (~330-350) for indoor use, but I'm starting to really think that something along the MP5 route would be better for my play-style for indoor and getting another gun altogether for outdoor use.

What are some of the best CQB MP5 or smaller guns that would provide:

1) light weight
2) high rate of fire
3) accuracy

As a paintball player, over time I've moved away from milsig guns to speedball guns because the milsim guns are just too heavy and clunky VS the speed and agility of the speedball guns. For airsoft CQB, I think I'd benefit most from a light / agile CQB gun.

EDIT:

Moondog had mentioned the "MP5K AEG" as a possible back-up gun. This might be a decent CQB gun as well?

ADMIN/EDIT: Sorry, this should probably be moved to: http://nycairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63

Do note, CQB/smaller guns give you LESS accuracy than their larger carbine/rifle counterparts. They may allow for faster target acquisition, but in terms of range and accuracy the shorter inner barrel means they are inferior.

In terms of smgs, the top choices would probably be a MP/MK5, or a P/E90. MK5 if you want customizeability in terms of attachments (optics, laser/flashlights, grips, etc). P90 for an overall (in my opinion) more comfortable and compact gun, which can also be modded with a massive box mag.

The MP7 is also another alternative...
Callsign: Tsuyoi

Loadout:
KWA KM4 RIS with Madbull QD Mock Silencer + Barska Scope
KWA M9
A whole lot of guts

sk

Post by sk »

Tsuyoi wrote: Do note, CQB/smaller guns give you LESS accuracy than their larger carbine/rifle counterparts. They may allow for faster target acquisition, but in terms of range and accuracy the shorter inner barrel means they are inferior.

In terms of smgs, the top choices would probably be a MP/MK5, or a P/E90. MK5 if you want customizeability in terms of attachments (optics, laser/flashlights, grips, etc). P90 for an overall (in my opinion) more comfortable and compact gun, which can also be modded with a massive box mag.

The MP7 is also another alternative...
Hmm ... one that I did notice playing on Sunday was that almost everyone was using large guns - M4, 16s, AKs, etc. Not many people were using SMGs and the sort. However, at Strike Force, the engagement distances are VERY close, so I'm not sure accuracy would matter all that much. However, I'm not sure what other CQB arena's are like ...

Question:
#1 Any particular P90 you would recommend (Brand/Manufacturer)
#2 " " MP/MK5 " " " "

Thanks for the info-

Headkill
Site Admin

Post by Headkill »

What's your budget?

Keep in mind - MP5K/PDWs can only take stick type batteries so that sort of limits you. A MP5 with a collapsable stock takes minis, while a full stock can take large batteries.

sk

Post by sk »

Headkill wrote:What's your budget?

Keep in mind - MP5K/PDWs can only take stick type batteries so that sort of limits you. A MP5 with a collapsable stock takes minis, while a full stock can take large batteries.
Good question - I haven't mentioned that.
For an outdoor 400FPS gun I liked the KWA SR10 which is roughly $380 - So ~400$ for an outdoor gun.
For an indoor gun, <=350FPS, I think my price would be the same, ~350$.

I'll buy the indoor gun first and the outdoor gun later in my travels (maybe next month). I still need to get gear as well (vest, batteries, mags, etc).

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

There aren't many P90 makers. Echo-1 uses JG as their OEM for the P90. Classic Army and Tokyo Marui are the only other P90 makers as far as know but they're rare and expensive.

I have two JG P90's and they're great performers (I only use them for Buran games where I was the Buran). Unfortunately they both fire just over 400fps so would not be legal for CQB. The magazines are a bit awkward sized for puches.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

sk

Post by sk »

Hey,

Interesting - ok Yeah, I wouldn't want to spend TOO much since I'm still trying to figure out a play style, etc.
I bought the KWA SR7 DEVGRU - I finally found a vendor that had one in stock and ordered it. Should be here by end of week and I'm probably playing a 1/2 day at Cousins on Sunday AM. That'll at least get me a 330-350FPS gun that I can also use for 400FPS matches ... until I do more search and talk to more people.

But for now I have a gun I think I'll be happy with!

Headkill
Site Admin

Post by Headkill »

sk

Post by sk »

Headkill wrote:This might be good for you.
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=37527
That is really cool - I like the size. Damn, will research this as well. I just bought the SR7 DEVGRU so I'll play with that for a bit before making another purchase. Good looks though, thanks.