Best M4/M16: TM, CA, JG, E1, G&G, A&K, etc.?

AEG, AEP, EBB, Mini, LPEG and all other electrically powered guns

Moderators: primer, Shogun Mitsu

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Best M4/M16: TM, CA, JG, E1, G&G, A&K, etc.?

Post by Moondog »

Best M4/M16: TM, CA, JG / Echo 1, G&G, A&K, Systema, etc.
by Moondog

All airsoft M16's all perform essentially the same despite the external differences whether it's an M16 (VN), M16A1, M16A2, M16A3/4, M733's, M4's, S-Systems, etc. Internal parts determine an AEG's reliability, range, accuracy, etc.

Real Steel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

The M-16 is the military designation for the Armalite AR-15 (later known as the Colt M-15). Designed by Eugene Stoner for the Armalite Corp in the 1960's. It was the first 5.56mm assault rifle adopted by the US military in 1964. It is the most widely available Western made 5.56mm assault rifle.

It has a direct impingement gas-operated system (which is the reason it needs to be cleaned more often than the piston-rod, gas-operated AK, M-14, or G36). It's reliability (or lack thereof) compared to other contemporary assault rifles is an ongoing debate among gunheads.

The M4 carbine variant has recently become the defacto standard issue weapon to front-line US troops due to shorter size needed for MOUT combat in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Because they have been the standard rifle of the US military since the late 1960's they are the most popular airsoft rifle type. They are the most common assault rifle used by 'Good Guys' on movies and TV and thus are the most popular rifle type in airsoft.

Airsoft M16's
M16's were some of the earliest AEG's made by Tokyo Marui (TM) and are by far the most common AEG type produced. They also have the most after market accessories and upgrades, including full-metal receivers with a wide range of trade marks ('Trades').

Clone/Budget brands brands (under $150):

JG/Echo1: The Toyota of airsoft. Good quality and performance for the price. ABS bodies only without trades. They offer a wide variety of M16 variants (including ones that don't exist in real life.) Since 2008 they have upgraded +400fps gearboxes.

A&K: First appearing in 2006, these early models were TM clones with mediocre quality internals and gearboxes firing below 280fps. Since 2007 they have improved in quality and offer some models unavailable with other clone brands such as their full-metal SR-25.

D-Boys: Offers the only budget (sub $120) full-metal bodies. Their AEG's have been a step below JG in internal quality and price. Their 2007 models were the first clone AEG's to exceed 350fps out of the box.

AGM: A new entrant into the market with some nice quality full-metal HK416 models available in CQB (330fps) and field ready (380fps) versions.

Well: One of the first metal gearbox M16 clones and by far the worst in terms of quality and upgradability. Their AEG's have been superseded by all the other clone brands so they should be avoided.

Mid-Range Brands (under $250)
G&G Sportsline: 360 fps pre-upgraded internals and their pre-installed tightbores. High quality plastic bodies.

CA Sportsline: High quality plastic bodies with upgraded internals (though G&G sportsline has slightly better parts.)

AIM/Matrix Tactical: AIM was of the first metal gearbox M16 clones but was superseded by JG and the other clone brands. Recently they retooled and they've released metal bodied AEG's with Matrix Tactical trades with upgraded internals, firing stock at +400fps.

High End M16 brands:

G&G: 360 fps pre-upgraded internals and their pre-installed tightbores. High quality metal bodies (and ABS bodies in their less expensive Sportsline series.) G&G trades.

KWA: 400fps pre-upgraded internals with 8mm high-speed brearing bushings. High quality metal body but with cheesy KWA logo as their trades.

G&P: 350fps pre-upgraded internals with high quality metal body. Real FNC trades. G&P makes some of the better AEG upgrade parts. 7mm bearing bushings.

ICS: +360fps pre-upgraded internals with high quality metal body. Real Olympic Arms trades. ICS offers some unique and progressive features such as a split gearbox (spring/cylinder upper separates from the gear/trigger lower part). Due to its unique design features some upgrade parts may not be compatible.

CA: 330fps pre-upgraded parts but have had inconsistent quality in their wiring and motors (upgrade these.) High quality metal body with real Armalite trades. 7mm oil-less bushings. Offers the widest selection of M16 models and the only accurate Vietnam War era M-16.

ARES: Highly detailed metal bodies with real trades and outer barrel made to real steel specs (CW thread). Matches Systema for realistic externals. Has a unique gearbox plug which allows the user to easily change springs, though the motor needs to be upgraded for springs above M120 class.

Tokyo Marui: Great for CQB. Highly detailed ABS bodies. Keep it stock for best reliability. Infamous barrel wobble.

Systema PTW: The Maybach of AEG's. Super expensive (over $1,000) and designed for military/law enforcement training. All the parts and magazines are equally as expensive. Some very unique and easily upgradable internals. Overpriced for the performance you get vs. traditionally upgraded AEG's, but unquestionable brag factor.

Budget vs. High-End M16's
While more expensive than the budget/clone brands (under $150), they all come with upgrade parts and metal bodies that are worth more by themselves than the value of a JG, D-Boys, A&K AEG.

In other words, if you're happy with the stock performance of a JG, D-Boys, A&K level AEG, then by all means buy it. They perform well and are priced low.

But if you plan on pimping out your budget AEG with expensive after market internals and high-quality metal bodies, it's cheaper in the long run to just buy the higher end M4 brands.

Have a question about an M16? Post it here.
So this thread is intended to give you good background on the M16's and the differences between the brands that make them. If you have a question about which particular model/brand is better than the other, you can post here.

If you wish to discuss a specific brand and model, please search for a thread on it or if one does not exist, start one.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

youngbuck
First Name: Benjamin
Last Name: Baum

Re: Best M4/M16: TM, CA, JG, E1, G&G, A&K, etc.?

Post by youngbuck »

Is there a big difference between the regular G&G and the G&G top tech?
If you are getting shot at shoot back.

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

youngbuck wrote:Is there a big difference between the regular G&G and the G&G top tech?
Please don't double-post. Use the EDIT button if nobody has posted a reply since you posted.

G&G top tech is their pneumatic blowback gearbox design. Avoid it even though G&G is an excellent brand with a good rep for quality. The design of their Top Tech gearbox is such that if you attempt to drop in a high FPS spring, you may get a leak out of the blowback piston gasket which means you lose pressure.

In fact avoid any AEG blowback design (from any maker) as it is just another part that can break down. If you want true blowback feel, use a GBBR.

As for a recommendation, every one you listed except the top-techs are going to be excellent choices for an AEG. Pick the one you think looks coolest.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

youngbuck

Post by youngbuck »

Thanks. I never thought about that. Just another part to break. How is WE? http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=38163

Night Angel
First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Ruvo

Post by Night Angel »

I was actually considering getting this gun myself, but WE is a mainly a GBB company. I decided to wait to see what the reviews said, and it's a pretty decent gun. The main complaint I heard is a lot of wobble. I have also heard about some problems with the cylinder design as well, but the was only one time. I think it's not quite worth the price that it's sold for. My recommendation would be a Pro-Line ICS. They aren't that expensive and are well worth the investment.
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Ecclesiastes 3:8

Loadout:

Primary: ICS M4 SIR Pro AEG
Secondary: Custom Elite Force M4A1 Patriot
Sidearm: WE-Tech HiCapa Xcelerator Dragon

youngbuck

Post by youngbuck »

I started to look into G&P. I don't know much about them but the price looks good. Finally decided I'm going for an outdoor aeg.
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=35195
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=32129
Any suggestions? I still would like to get an indoor set up too so it has to be under $300. The cqb set up will have to wait for later. But cqb looks fast and fun.

Frogman
First Name: Nik
Last Name: Grohman

Post by Frogman »

What gun did you used to have Youngbuck? I saw that you've never had an AEG before.

Also, for a starter AEG I would go with G&G or JG personally.

G&G
A low price, decent performance, pretty good quality and internals, and they're easily upgraded. Plus, some of them can even be used for CQB due to their FPS.

For example, an M4 for $200, but has pretty good specs and reviews:
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=39781

OR the railed version for $250:
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=39783

JG:
While being commonly known as a clone gun, it tends to have some advantages for newer players. Lower price, good performance, average quality (however, most are not full metal), average internals, and you can upgrade them incredibly well (I run with a custom M16 that started as a JG). However, the FPS may be a little bit hot for CQB. (My M16 shot 360 out of the box).

Here is an M4 for $140, with 5 stars and plenty of reviews, and it even has a rail:
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=29002

Here's my M16, which worked flawlessly stock, as I got it right around when I started playing airsoft. However it's not the highest quality externals ($170):
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=28400
Last edited by Frogman on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callsign: FROGMAN
Leader of Shoot to Kill Airsoft (StK - "SticK")
Weapon of Choice: Custom M16A4 Build - "Lucy"

youngbuck

Post by youngbuck »

I still have it. When I first started I thought I could shoot farther with a sniper, so I got a well fire vsr-10. I now see the mistake I made. It has a bad paint job I did. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=67

Frogman
First Name: Nik
Last Name: Grohman

Post by Frogman »

Youngbuck, I posted my ideas for you in my previous comment, incase you didn't see.
Callsign: FROGMAN
Leader of Shoot to Kill Airsoft (StK - "SticK")
Weapon of Choice: Custom M16A4 Build - "Lucy"