Custom artillery piece

GBB, NBB, CO2, RPG launchers, Gas Grenades and Shells

Moderator: redbull

Bigfoot
First Name: Josh
Last Name: Budik

Custom artillery piece

Post by Bigfoot »

The purpose of this post is to explore the possibility of resurrecting an old aircannon I used in the past. It's made mostly of pvc, runs off compressed air or C02, estimated velocity @300fps
w/275 6mm BB's. Effective range is 100' or so, the spread at that distance being something like 10'. There's been some talk here recently about rebuilding it, and upping the power to something like 400fps with as many as 1000 bb's. Before I even bother drawing plans, would such a piece even be allowed on a playing field?
(that being said, this question is mainly aimed at Moondog and/or whoever would have a say in the matter)
Ulster Defense Force
Operation Fallout 2013
Operation Bad Blood 2014 - Southern Congo Tribal Militia

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Custom artillery piece

Post by Moondog »

First and foremost, I'm not the final word. It's the actual field owners and specifically its their insurance agencies who would make the call on whether such a device would be allowed.

I'm curious, are the BB's fired by themselves or are they held together in some sort of cup or sabot?

Do you have photos or videos or it firing?
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

I guess I'll have to get in touch with said field owners then...

In the past I just used tissue of toilet paper as wadding after loading the BB's, one used a dixie cup behind the ammo (@100 paintballs in a reloadable shell) and one had shells with metal mesh in the rear of the shell and wadding in the front. But in testing out random loads I found that at 100psi the air itself will shred a walmart bag, and finally my youngest brother suggested disentegrating tisue paper shells. That's most likely what the next one will use if built. I may have a video or two backed up somewheres too. Have to check.
Ulster Defense Force
Operation Fallout 2013

Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

I do have a video but I can only post it here from a URL, I'm not seeing any upload option.

What I'm thinking of building is a modified version of the Xinventions PAC5
http://www.xinventions.com/main/spud/pac5.htm
That's the best visual I can give you at the moment.
Ulster Defense Force
Operation Fallout 2013

Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

I'm not trying to spam post here, but I just found this. It's a good explanation of the basic mechanical operation.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/files/p ... sm_165.gif
Ulster Defense Force
Operation Fallout 2013

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

Please use the EDIT button next time and add to your previous post. Double posting and in your case Tripple Posting is frowned upon.

In your experience was this canon useful in woods? I mean since the BB's are traveling in a ballistic trajectory and if the are fired at 400fps, chances are they will be falling at far slower speeds.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

It worked fine... it should be noted though, that whole ballistic trajectory business was never very relevant. The only reason I refer to it as an artillery piece is that the barrel's inner diameter far exceeds 6.05mm. In actual use it's a shotgun, similar to a stand alone m203 grenade launcher, and in all reality it's a scaled down air powered potato gun used in a point-and-shoot manner just like a 12 gauge shotgun (minus the lethal side effects that is)
Ulster Defense Force
Operation Fallout 2013

DRK
First Name: Derek
Last Name: pom

Post by DRK »

For Russia

OP: Northern Light 1,2,4
OP: Lightning Strike 1-4
OP: Bulldog 7