Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

New ANSI 2010 Standards

Post by Moondog »

ANSI Z87.1 Standards
by Moondog

After reading of the reddit story of a tragic eye injury posted by another NYC Airsoft player viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1779 I decided to do some additional research on ANSI rated eye protection. As an avid real steel and airsoft shooter, I've always stressed that airsoft players always wear protective eyewear when playing. But not all eyewear protects equally, which is why I've always advocated players look for goggles which are ANSI rated. But what is that?

ANSI is The American National Standards Institute, which is a private non-profit organization that develops voluntary quality/performance standards for use by businesses and manufacturers in the US. Their impact testing standard for protective eyewear is Z87.1 and they update these standards periodically. Products that meet the Z87.1 standard established in 2003 are refered to as ANSI Z77.1-2003 compliant.

A word of caution, based on my reading of these standards, just because your eyewear is advertised as ANSI rated does not by itself mean that it will withstand the impact of a BB. You should look for "High Impact" or ANSI ZD7+ rated goggles. And you should choose safety goggles over shooting glasses.

TEST TO YOUR OWN STANDARD
Remember ANSI is a voluntary standard and that does not stop some chinese factory from lying and claiming their product meets the standard when they do not. Retailers do not have the time or incentive counter-test all of the products they buy to sell. So preform your own test by shooting your new goggles a few times from 1m (3ft) with a 400fps gun (whilst wearing proper eye protection yourself).

If those goggles survive the test without a scratch or minimum scuffing, then congratulations you have "airsoft safe" goggles. If your lenses crack, then congratulations, they have passed the ANSI Z87.1 standard (they didn't break and protected your eyes). Unfortunately you now have to buy new goggles, but that's far less costly than permanently losing your eyesight.

ANSI Z87.1-2003 OLD STANDARD
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ansiz8712003.html

1. Two Levels of Protection: Basic and High
LENSES: The new standard designates that lenses will be divided into two protection levels, Basic Impact and High Impact as dictated by test criteria. Basic Impact lenses must pass the “drop ball” test, a 1" diameter steel ball is dropped on the lens from 50 inches. High Impact lenses must pass “high velocity” testing where 1/4" steel balls are “shot” at different velocities.
(1/4'” balls weighing in @1 gram)
Glasses/Spectacles: 150 ft. /sec. (1.04 Joules or around 334.5 FPS W / .2s)
Goggles: 250 ft. /sec. (2.89 Joules or around 557.6 FPS W /.2s)
Face shields: 300 ft. /sec.

FRAMES: Now, all eyewear/goggle frames, face shields or crowns must comply with the High Impact requirement. (These revisions helps eliminate the use of “test lenses”, and assures all protectors are tested as complete - lenses in frame - devices). After making an eye hazard assessment, employers (safety personnel) should decide on appropriate eyewear to be worn, although High Impact would always be recommended.

2. Now, Products Must Indicate Impact Protection Level.
To identify a device’s level of impact protection, the following marking requirements apply to all new production spectacles, goggles and face shields. Basic Impact spectacle lenses will have the manufacturer’s mark, i.e. an AOSafety product will have “AOS” and a Pyramex product will have a "P" etc. Goggles and face shields will have AOS and Z87 (AOS Z87). High Impact spectacle lenses will also have a plus + sign, (AOS+) or "P+" etc. All goggle lenses and face shield windows are to be marked with the manufacturer's mark, Z87, and a + sign (AOSZ87+).

ANSI Z87.1-2010 NEW STANDARD
The new standard removes the Basic Impact and High Impact designation. Now eyewear that passed the former 'High Impact' standard are classified as "Impact" or "ZD7+" whilst eyewear that met the lower standard are classified as "Non-Impact" or "ZD7" without the + symbol. http://www.domesticpreparedness.com/use ... ISEA10.pdf
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Re: New ANSI 2010 Standards

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

I will be performing stress tests on all my eye pro. I not only have myself to worry about, but my wife & son as well. I would hate for something dreadful to happen & know that it could have been avoided. Thanks for this write up Moondog, its an "eye" opener. ;)
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379