Mesh Lower Masks

Goggles, masks, kneed pads, helmets and gloves

Moderators: primer, Shogun Mitsu

rigma_one
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Au1

Mesh Lower Masks

Post by rigma_one »

I noticed a lot of players at Early Dawn were rocking the mesh lower facemask and I was looking for some feedback on fit, protection and manufacturers.

Does your mesh mask allow you sight up your rifle optics (or iron sights)?

Have you encountered any mis-matches between goggle fit and mask fit? What works for you?

Have any BBs broken on the mesh and cut your face?

Thanks all in advance for your input and it was great playing with you at MAS today.

Regards,
rig_

Rosales
Site Admin
First Name: Japheth
Last Name: Rosales

Re: Mesh Lower Masks

Post by Rosales »

I've been using mesh masks for over a year now. Makes breathing a lot easier, comms are better with lack of obstruction. So far I had direct hits on the mesh mask and the feeling is more millisecond of a sharp smack. After that it is gone. You do need to form the mask on your face, being made of mesh its malleable enough to closely match the contour of your cheek/jawline. I haven't had much trouble with a cheek weld, nor did a bb shatter on the mask itself. Flackjacks and Revision goggles rest comfortably on top of the mask as well.
As far as brands are concerned I have no specific recommendation. I bought both of my masks on Ebay (HK retailer) so they are pretty much ACM. My advice is, unless youre wearing Asian Fit Goggles you may have to pinch the nose bridge area so your goggles can have a better fit. Hope this helps.
Do not meddle in the affairs of a dragon. For you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Fallout: Buran veteran
T4T 2012, 2013, 2014
OP: Seabird
Bad Blood 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 veteran

Mark Twain
Site Admin
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Tevis

Post by Mark Twain »

We've worn them for several years. Love them.

You can bend the side in if you have any weapon interference. There's nothing like taking a facefull at close range and the only thing you have to say is "hit" !

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it's lightning that does the work"

Mark Twain 1835-1910

Call Sign: Mark Twain

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

rigma_one wrote:I noticed a lot of players at Early Dawn were rocking the mesh lower facemask and I was looking for some feedback on fit, protection and manufacturers.

Does your mesh mask allow you sight up your rifle optics (or iron sights)?

Have you encountered any mis-matches between goggle fit and mask fit? What works for you?

Have any BBs broken on the mesh and cut your face?

Thanks all in advance for your input and it was great playing with you at MAS today.

Regards,
rig_

I've worn them for over 3 years now. BB shrapnel shouldn't hurt your face but it is dangerous to your eyes if you wear mesh goggles without eye-pro under it.

They are the best face protection for reducing goggle fogging because they let your breath escape without trapping it or venting it up into your vents like cloth masks will do. Only the most fussy impressionists dislike them because they don't look realistic to what military would wear.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Erebus
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Hemphill

Post by Erebus »

I've had the opposite experience. All the positives mentioned are true, but I have never been able to site well using a face mask. This issue is particular to scopes on long rifles, I have no issue with eotech style sites or rifles with no cheek weld. Part of the issue maybe that I tend to use very low profile scope setups, but for me the frame of the mask (not the mesh) always interferes with the cheek rest and make me use really awkward head positions to site.
Signature and personality being remodeled

rigma_one
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Au1

Post by rigma_one »

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Argon
First Name: Justin
Last Name: Woods

Post by Argon »

When I was at Op. Bad Blood 2014, I saw plenty of people with the same mesh mask as I have, but it looked like they had colored in theirs with something. All of the shapes on the mask were brightly colored, almost like with a highlighter. Does anyone know what I could use/do to make my mask look like those? (I have a lower face mask with a skull/fang pattern on it)
Note to any Taliban personnel: ALL SUICIDE VESTS MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

OP Bad Blood
Blue Bloods 2014 OD Mercs 2015
OP Fallout 6
Hudson Union

willus

Post by willus »

i have the mesh lower mask as well. I use it clipped into my fast helmet. i can just unclip and drink water then clip back in. very quick and easy. I do have issues with sighting down the iron sights but it's ok with an eotech or other red dot. raising the red dot on the rail would help though....

Mark Twain
Site Admin
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Tevis

Post by Mark Twain »

My son and I use mesh masks; you can bend the mesh in to get a better cheek/stock weld on your weapon.

Wouldn't play without one.................. it's much more fun to say"hit" than "@##$%^&*" when you get hit in the face. I don't even notice it's there anymore. (My son doesn't get a choice after the $$ we spent at the orthodontist lol !! Had one of my team mates lose a tooth while wearing a mouthguard)
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it's lightning that does the work"

Mark Twain 1835-1910

Call Sign: Mark Twain

Muthur
Site Admin
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Zinner

Post by Muthur »

Alpine wrote:When I was at Op. Bad Blood 2014, I saw plenty of people with the same mesh mask as I have, but it looked like they had colored in theirs with something. All of the shapes on the mask were brightly colored, almost like with a highlighter. Does anyone know what I could use/do to make my mask look like those? (I have a lower face mask with a skull/fang pattern on it)

Spray paint and masking tape OR it might be simpler to use paint markers - http://www.dickblick.com/products/decoc ... t-markers/
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in
New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.

OP: Bad Blood 2011/2012/2013/2014/2015
OP: Fallout 2011/2012/2014/2015
OP: Tantalum Contract 2012
OP: Early Dawn 2012 | OP: Second Dawn 2013
T4T:NY 2011 | T4T:NJ 2012
CQB: Point Blank 2011 | CQB: Washi Flood Relief Game 2011
Evike Pistol ShootOut 2011 | Steel Challenge 2011 | LeukeM.I.A. 2011
Miami Vice of the Dead 2012