A&K M249 MK2: Increased Range

Improving FPS accuracy, range, ROF and painting/weathering

Moderators: JuiceWizard, redbull

The Bear Jew
First Name: Nicholas
Last Name: Lettiere

A&K M249 MK2: Increased Range

Post by The Bear Jew »

Hey guys, I have an A&K M249 Mk2 and I want to increase the RANGE but I'm not sure what to get. I don't want to break the bank so I'm trying to keep it to just a barrel and bucking. I'm looking at (see below) but I'm open to suggestions.

Barrel
MadBull V2 509 x 6.03 http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=1231
Bravo Steel 509 6.03 http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=6530

Bucking
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... s_id=13388

I'm not looking to increase the FPS or RoF because shooting a laser beam of .28's or higher at 25rps is going to be expensive. Right now I'm using Elite Force .20's or .25's and a Tenergy 9.6v 1600mah battery. I did some research and I keep hearing about people having Flat and R Hops work great in their SAW's so emailed a local tech and he said that the m249 Hop Up unit is completely proprietary and that you can't put a Flat/R hop in without some extensive modification to the unit/barrel. He also recommended a FM Piston and Piston head and a re shim, and gave me the jaw dropping price quote of $173.21.

If anyone has a solid recommendation on how to max out the range with just the barrel and bucking that doesn't require any modification it would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard that Bravo Steel is a rebrand of Lonex. I know that Lonex makes good stuff, but MadBull also makes good stuff and that barrel is $30. Is there really that big a difference in the two besides material? Is the Bravo worth the extra $30 in this case or no?
A&K M249 Mk2
Echo1 Stag15 M8A4
KWC Desert Eagle (Co2 Blowback)
Bravo 3 Burst M1014

DRK
First Name: Derek
Last Name: pom

Re: A&K M249 MK2: Increased Range

Post by DRK »

http://m.redwolfairsoft.com/item_detail ... 28455mm%29

It has been adding range of an additional 15 yards. It's standing up to AEG and polar star use, currently undergoing a further swap of the plastic window for a steel one for the Daytona gun engine models. Once those tests are public, I may end up swapping every barrel in my Daytona guns. Which is holding me back on 3 gun bodies and kits I have awaiting on news of the results.

I don't trust airsoft coated barrels, they can flake. Sure it may last 18 months, but it has a life span.
For Russia

OP: Northern Light 1,2,4
OP: Lightning Strike 1-4
OP: Bulldog 7
OP: Lion Claw XI
OP: Shahrazad 1,3
OP: Red Storm East 1,2,4,5
OP: Red Storm West 2014
OP: Swift Justice
OP: X 1,2
The Milwaukee Project
The Ohio Project

The Bear Jew
First Name: Nicholas
Last Name: Lettiere

Post by The Bear Jew »

Don't wide bores in AEG's cause you to loose FPS and range? I can understand in a Daytona gun or a Polarstar because you have the extra air to cushion the bb as it travels, but in a SAW with a 509mm barrel? That seems like I'm going to loose alot of forward pressure on the bb.
A&K M249 Mk2
Echo1 Stag15 M8A4
KWC Desert Eagle (Co2 Blowback)
Bravo 3 Burst M1014

DRK
First Name: Derek
Last Name: pom

Post by DRK »

There is technical data that supports a wide bore barrel with more of a contact, I.E. An R-hop or Long Contact Patch. Provides greater distance, thinking that brute force is the only way to get your BB's out further is miseducation. In the 80's it was called SCS or spin control system.

Then it was LRB or long range barrel in the 90's that used an angled groove like a bowling gutter lane. The gearbox age is the adjustable hop-up, all that technical data is coming out of companies from japan experimenting on the concept for some years now. Orga Magnus has been the best known, now Prometheus is getting in on the act.

I may try a barrel for one of my AEG's. I have a couple of AEG m249's I could try this on. But given it's a low priority for me, it may take a while. You may want to seek more reviews about it, not just from this country as well.
For Russia

OP: Northern Light 1,2,4
OP: Lightning Strike 1-4
OP: Bulldog 7
OP: Lion Claw XI
OP: Shahrazad 1,3
OP: Red Storm East 1,2,4,5
OP: Red Storm West 2014
OP: Swift Justice
OP: X 1,2
The Milwaukee Project
The Ohio Project

Keeper
First Name: Donald
Last Name: Swelgin

Post by Keeper »

Put a Orga barrel in my MP5 for a test and on Full Auto the BBs did seem to have better range after the first few shots. On Semi, I do not think there was enough air pressure to get the BB out there. Expensive test, but I can reuse the barrel later on if I re-do the Mp5 as a P*,