Improving FPS accuracy, range, ROF and painting/weathering

Moderators: JuiceWizard, redbull

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post your Custom Painted Weapon

Post by Moondog »

Show off photos of your custom paint jobs and discuss what went right and what went wrong in the process. I actually haven't painted any of my AEG's, but for the sake of starting off this thread, here's what I'd do with my G36 if I did.

Though I wouldn't have gone with the candy stripe look. I'd have spaced out the stripes a little more randomly and randomized the widths of the stripes.

Here's some general tips:

1. Always use flat paint. Gloss, semi-gloss, satin finish paint will make your AEG look like a toy. The military uses flat plaint, so should you.

2. Paint in a well ventilated area. Don't paint in your room or the garage and don't paint and smoke or paint near an open flame or pilot light.

3. Clean the item you want to paint with some light detergent and water or water or alcohol to prep the surface.

4. Apply in multiple coats. Don't overspary or else the paint will run and streak. Start your spraying away from your weapon then move the paint spray onto
the area you want to paint.

5. Cover areas you don't want painted with masking tape.

6. Use stencils. That means cut out shapes on a large piece of cardboard and use them to create your camo shapes. This is the biggest newb mistake in painting. You can't create a hard edge using the spray can by itself.

7. Be patient. Paint takes time to dry, even spray paint. Secure your object on a string or other support so the wet paint doesn't touch another surface.

8. Practice, practice, practice.

Here are some Guides that I found helpful.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn ... intjob.htm

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn ... ing101.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOgdfoIRbgk
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

youngbuck
First Name: Benjamin
Last Name: Baum

Camouflage Techniques: Countershading

Post by youngbuck »

If you are getting shot at shoot back.

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Re: Camouflage Techniques: Countershading

Post by phridum »

That's a good example of painting the rifle, but not really illustrating the counter-shade technique. Why did you post the pic? You want pointers? What do you look like?

youngbuck

Post by youngbuck »

Its not a great example but i am new to painting guns and wanted to get some feed back on how i did.

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Post your Custom Painted Weapon

Post by Moondog »

Next time, add a comment before or after your pasted photo and simply state that.

The Counter Shade topic is not really on topic for your subject. Moving and merging with the appropriate thread in Upgrades and Customizing.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Post by phridum »

youngbuck wrote:Its not a great example but i am new to painting guns and wanted to get some feed back on how i did.
Contrary to popular belief, painting guns isn't to make them aesthetically pleasing. It's done to break up their big black outline. You can paint a gun however you want and it's at least "good" because it's not black anymore.

In your example there are some things you could do differently. All the colors are pretty dark, so in any shadows, it still looks like a gun. You can paint some chunks light so that they pop out and the dark areas fade into the background.

When I paint guns, i do one base coat, then lay leaves and sticks (usually fake from the craft store) over it, and use two more colors to paint chunks over that. When you pick up the vegetation you painted over, it's like a stencil.

You can self evaluate by looking at a lot of areas of the gun from angles the OpFor might see you. Look at the front of the gun, especially around the scope and base. Probably find pieces you missed.

youngbuck

Post by youngbuck »

Thank you for the advice.

sonic
Site Admin
First Name: Ian
Last Name: Conolly

Post by sonic »

One major thing people forget when painting a weapon is natural shadow. So many people will paint an all over color or pattern, forgetting that the weapon will still cast and display shadow.
Creating false shadow tricks the eye. Paint the top side a darker shade and the under side lighter. It will fool the eye when the "shadow" isn't under what they perceive as a weapon on the field.