TM Uzi short review

Detailed reviews and links to reviews of weapons and gear

Moderators: primer, Shogun Mitsu

Nachostheclown
Site Admin

TM Uzi short review

Post by Nachostheclown »

Review below Pic

Ok I'm going to start this review with a disclaimer. This gun came broken from AEX. It was covered with dust and had a price tag attached to the gun. It also has a fair amount of being handled wear. My belief is that this gun had been hanging on one of their stores walls for an extended amount of time. AEX is now sold out of Uzis so i think I got their last one. Instead of going through the trouble of sending it back, I attempted to fix it myself. As with anything else I try and "fix", I made it worse. So off to FPS Unlimited the gun went and now is in fine working order.

So now onto the review. Now your probably asking "hey Nachos why are you doing a review on one of TM older guns?", well my answer to that is, there are not to many of these floating around. I think the reason for this is two fold. The first reason is that the Uzi seems to have fallen to the way side in popular media and modern combat. More modern uber cool weapons have popped up to take it's place. The Uzi definitely has that mid 80s Chuck Norris feel.
The next reason is there is not much you can do to upgrade a TM Uzi. Part of this is because the Uzi is the only AEG to use a version 5 gearbox and replacement parts are very difficult to find. The way I see it, this is a which came first the chicken or the egg situation. Nobody makes parts because the gun is not popular enough but the gun is in part not popular because nobody makes parts.

What's in the box. The gun, one mag, front sight tool, loading tool, clearing rod, tracer unit adapter, and the usual TM manuals and catalogs.

The gun has a plastic body with the stock, top portion of the receiver, barrel, barrel nut and few other small pieces being metal. The gun is very solid even with the stock extended.

As far size compared to other SMG series. Here are some pics for comparison.

MP7 is more compact.

MP5K is about the size but does not have a stock.

MP5 and UMP are comprable sizes with buttstocks extended. However I feel the Uzi will be far easier to conceal.

Battery is fairly easy to change. It's housed under the the top of the receiver. The release is just in front of the rear sight. It is with out a doubt one of the easiest battery changes out there.

The battery compartment pretty much limits you to an 8.4 stick. I'm sure some sort of external rig could be made, not sure why but it could be done.Image

More to follow

Nachostheclown
Site Admin

Re: TM Uzi short review

Post by Nachostheclown »

Selector is located on the left side of the pistol grip. Mine seems to not want to stay in the auto position while firing unless I keep my thumb on it. For a righty this would be the natural place for your thumb so no big deal. For me a lefty it's kinda annoying. This may be a problem limited to only my gun.

Mag release is located at the bottom of the pistol grip. This position makes for very fast mag changes.

The gun also has a working grip safety.

Hop-up is located under the battery cover.

How does the gun shoot? The answer is not very impressive. It's shooting about 230 with G+G .2 bios. Most sites have it listed between 230 and 240 so mine is shooting about right for stock TM. This is on par with a stock TM MP7.

Upgrading is a crap shoot. You crack the gearbox or break something inside the gear box that is proprietary for version 5 your pretty well screwed.

Is the gun usable for game play? I think it would be great for CQB or as a back up. This defiantly is not a gun I would tell everyone to run out and get.
If your a collector or someone who wants to be different then this is the gun for you.

Any questions or if anyone wants to add anything feel free.