primer
First Name: Ted
Last Name: Colegrove

Systema PTW M4A1 MIL/LE Edition REVIEW

Post by primer »

Systema PTW MIL/LE Review
by Primer

First Impression:
When I first opened the box I felt like I was a little school boy and it was Christmas. I hesitantly picked up the PTW, as I didn’t want to break it. It’s heavy, but well balanced. Apparently it’s “real weight” or something like that.

The Feel:

It’s solid. There is no barrel wobble whatsoever. I feel like I could drop this and it would be fine, no I’m not going to try. There is nothing flimsy about anything on this, even the bolt catch seems solid.
When resting your cheek on the crane stock its unusually comfortable, due to the soft material on it. Moving the stock forward and back is very smooth, and it clicks into place with a very nice and satisfying click.
I installed a UTG 7” rail system on the front, so due to popular belief you can install some ‘airsoft only’ accessories on the PTW. Also the PTW comes with a CLOCKWISE 14mm threaded barrel, so you must find a flashhider that is clockwise. The underneath the rail system is a very beefy outerbarrel. It’s larger than any of the other Airsoft M4s I have owned. This could possibly be due to the ‘real steel’ spec that the PTW is known for.

The Look:
Well I was a little disappointed with the look of the PTW, mostly because I loved the matte black that I had on my G&P M4. The lower and upper receiver are a flat grayish black, but the barrel is a little lighter. I do, however, love the color of the buffer tube, it’s a nice silver color that you don’t find on other Airsoft guns.
The trades read P.T.W. – 4 instead of the M4A1 trades that the regular Systema Max’s have. I like it but I’d rather have some nice real trades on it. I figure I could buy a new body later after I am done recovering from the cost of this baby.

What comes with it?
The PTW comes with one (1) 30 rd low cap mag, a small allen driver to adjust the hop-up, a CD to tell you all about your purchase, and a speed loader (with some BBs, I think they are .2s).

Field Test:
Adjusting the hop-up is a little harder than your regular M4. It’s a little like adjusting the M14 hop-up because of the location. It’s in the mag well, and you have to use the little tool that came with the gun to adjust it. Once it’s in place it doesn’t move. The range of the gun is about 175 feet or so, not sure so I’ll have to measure it. It hits hard, I am using .3s and I chronoed it at 372 fps, although the great thing about the PTW is the ease of changing out the cylinder/spring :)
Moving around with it is a little harder because of the weight of the mags. Each mag is equal to 4 mag midcaps in weight, and it’s a little longer than other M4 mags, it’s about the same size as a G36 Mag. So carrying 6 mags on you is a lot heavier than I am used to, oh well more reason to get into shape?

Systema PTW mag:

Mag Comparison:
http://image.x24d.com/uploads/1241488422.jpg

Hop-up:

The trigger response is almost instant. I think this is probably the best thing about the gun. You squeeze the trigger and it instantly shoots, I like using semi more than full auto now.
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/bWaGZ1uqFaU

Internals:
I don’t really know much about systema internals, but here are pictures:

Gold Cylinder:

Lower Receiver Gearbox and Systema Control Chip

Overall:
This thing is a beast, and if you can spare the extra change to get it, I highly recommend it.
I don’t think I can use a regular AEG again, haha, but I’m sure I will have to since these PTWs don’t like rain that much.

Look: 9/10
Feel: 10/10
Use: 10/10
Want to change my signature? http://www.x24d.com/sig_changer/
Moondog wrote:Yes, friendly fire still kills you. Same as real life.

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Systema PTW M4A1 MIL/LE Edition REVIEW

Post by Moondog »

FYI, the PTW mags are the same length as real-steel STANAG M16 magazines. TM compatible magazines are always shorter than real-steel mags because AEG's have hop-up chambers and feeding tubes that take up space above the magwell.

Great review!
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars