Last Name: DelMundo

Ares TAR-21 "Tavor"

Post by Moondog »

ARES TAR-21
Airsoft Review
by Moondog

Video of this review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G6WYAnxi_4

Real Steel History
T.A.R.-21 stands for "Tavor Assault Rifle, 21st Century". After the Israeli Defense Force's experience in the first Intifada, they realized that they needed an assault rifle that was designed for the close-quarters of urban combat.

Like the British L85 and the French FAMAS, the IDF chose a bull-pup design with the magazine and firing mechanism behind the handle and trigger. This design allows the Tavor to be physically shorter than an M4 carbine but have the same performance as a full-length M16 (in fact the TAR 21's barrel is longer than an M16A2)

Packaging

This is the ARES airsoft version of the Compact T.A.R. 21. It differs from the standard Tavor, in that it is not designed to mount a bayonet, so it has a 3" shorter barrel.

ARES is the mainland chinese manufacturer of such high-end AEG's like STAR which sells some of the most expensive and highly detailed AEG available.

ARES ships the Tavor with a 190rnd mid-cap magazine and an old-style tube speedloader. Why they didn't choose a cheap pistol magazine sized speedloader baffles me. Like other high-end AEG's, a battery and charger are not included.

Now some may complain that they feel cheated but let me point out that only cheaper clone AEG's like JG, CYMA, DBoys include cheap, low-capacity, 8.4 batteries and dumb chargers to make their products more attractive to newb airsofters.

The market for the ARES are experienced owners who already own hi-speed chargers and have their own collection of hi-capacity NiMH or Lipo batteries.

Externals

Like the CA and STAR G36's, the Tavor's body is made of fiberglass reinforced nylon, not the shiny ABS plastic found in cheaper clone bodies. Nylon is less brittle and more durable than ABS.

The charging handle is functional, pulling back the bolt cover to reveal the hop-up, with a M16 style tuning wheel.

The real Tavor uses a M16 STANAG magazine and so too this Tavor can use most TM compatible M16 magazines but with the caveat, there is some variance in sizing with aftermarket magazines. The ambidextrous mag release is forward of the magwell. The selector is an M16 type switch: safe, semi, and fire.

The Ares comes with a good looking replica of the MARS red-dot sight with an integrated red laser pointer. The laser trigger is built into the handguard. But the red-dot sight itself is the one let down. The glass has distortions at its edges and the projected dot it out of focus. It's playable but disappointing.

Flip up iron sights are built in allowing you to co-sight through the red dot or should you wish to remove the red dot entirely.

The battery and gearbox is accessed via the hinged buttplate. Remove the locking pin to reveal the gearbox and battery chamber. There's plenty of room to fit a 9.6v small-type-battery.

Internals

Gearbox photos reposted by permission from Repsol600RR

The gearbox is a modified version 6 with a unique screw-off plug which allows you to replace the spring without having to open the gearbox. I wish all AEG's were like this.

Also unique is that the hop-up is attached to the gearbox shell. Unfortunately this means you will have to open up the gearbox to replace the barrel or bucking. Thankfully the ARES comes with a 407mm length tightbore and the hop-up is very good providing exceptional accuracy at 100ft.

Unfortunately customized design also means some parts incompatibility. Some have reported that modification is required for pistons and replacement gears. The stock internals are all upgrade-quality parts so expect good reliability overall. It features 8mm steel bushings, MOSFET electrical trigger and a short-type motor, so it's true LiPo ready gearbox.

Performance

Out of the box, our Tavor was firing at 305-310fps with .20g BB's. With a 9.6v mini battery, ROF was 18 rounds per second. This is typical of AEG's designed for the Asian and European market where some firearms laws limit airsoft guns to 300fps (1 Joule.)

Stock accuracy was measured using .25g BB's at a 30ft target. With 3 inch groupings in semi-auto, this should allow for excellent accuracy on the field with a greater than 50% hit probability on man sized targets at 100ft.

After upgrading to a PDI-190 spring the Tavor was firing only firing at 330fps which means that there is an air leak. I intend to replace the stock nozzle with an O-ring seal nozzle when I get a chance.

Conclusions
The gearbox is high quality and users will love the ease of the spring replacement but will find replacement parts a bit harder to find and more expensive.

The YouTube video can't do the ARES Tavor justice. When you hold a high-end AEG up close you can see a quantum leap in quality over lower priced Chines clones. I'm not a snob by any means, since most of my AEG's are clones. But if you're a newb who wonders why high-end AEG's cost $400 or more, when you have to have one in your hand you'll understand why.

The only thing I would like would be rails for mounting custom accessories and a powered scope. And/or a better red-dot. Yes the unit can be removed. Take down guide and rail mod here:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055595962

Like other bull-pups, you either love or hate the design. For fans of this futuristic modern rifles, this is one sexy beast.

PRO
• Hyper detailed body
• Full stamped trades (even the mag has Colt trades)
• Gearbox design allows spring to be easily replaced
• High quality parts in gearbox (except nozzle)
• 6.04mm tightbore
• MOSFET

CON
• Poor airseal on nozzle
• Mediocre quality optics on red-dot
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars