Moderators: primer, Shogun Mitsu

sonic
Site Admin
First Name: Ian
Last Name: Conolly

Marine Corps Times Editorial - Camo Envy Is Big Waste

Post by sonic »

Editorial: Camo envy is big waste

The services have spent billions over the past decade to develop and field at least 10 camouflage designs for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines.

And they’re not done yet: The Army, which fielded new camouflage designs in 2005 and 2010, is studying whether to invest another $4 billion over five years to develop and field yet another camouflage solution.

Call it a triumph of form over function: Most of these uniforms don’t do what camouflage was intended for — concealing troops in combat. Some were supposed to but didn’t prove effective; the Navy’s blue “aquaflage” hides nothing but paint and coffee stains.

Now the House Armed Services Committee has taken a step toward reining in the uniform madness. In its version of the 2014 defense budget, the panel prohibits any service from developing another camouflage uniform item unless it is intended to be a joint uniform shared by all.

The measure takes aim at top officials who aren’t satisfied to conceal troops in combat, but also want the uniforms to be distinct symbols of their services, to “stand out” in a crowd of troops. It also highlights the waste that was tolerated through a decade of war.

For decades, the services shared the same uniform. Only when the Marines set out to improve on that design — and be different at the same time — did they diverge. The result was waste on a massive scale.

Enough.

The Senate should back the House plan, and the services should get back to basics — and quit competing to see who can create the coolest uniform.

*Note: This thread is temporary because I "borrowed" it from a subscription based website*

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Re: Marine Corps Times Editorial - Camo Envy Is Big Waste

Post by phridum »

I hope they settle on the desert ATAC or Kryptek Highlander patterns! Those are ubersex!

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

I agree with Kryptek Highlander... Sexy!
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379

FoeRender
First Name: james
Last Name: bobko

Post by FoeRender »

I like all the kryptek stuff I would like to see that pattern used . All the colors have there use in the krptek line IMO . I woulf actually go on the green team if I had a set of Mandrake .