Best Rig for MP5 Loadout - Your Opinion

Uniforms, vests, belts, holsters, shoes and headwear

Moderators: primer, Shogun Mitsu

Keeper
First Name: Donald
Last Name: Swelgin

Best Rig for MP5 Loadout - Your Opinion

Post by Keeper »

Look for your opinion on what you think would work for a good MP5 Loadout. I am open to opinions on what might help.

I have tried a bunch of things from molle mounted Triple MP5 pouches, Blue Force gear, Double AK pouches and even some old style WWII pouches on a LBE and a Alice rig. Some worked ok, others were a complete fail. I am currently running a M4 Rig with built in M4 pouches that I can put two Mp5 mags in each pocket. That seems to work so far at a few OPs I have used it at, but the whole thing loaded up was pretty heavy with the built in hydration carrier and other stuff I put on it. Having a messed up left should (Rotator Cuff injury) has limited my movement some what, but it will get better as time heals all wounds.

Rig is pictured below. Left side has two RD VTG Grenade Holsters I just got and on the right I swapped out my pistol for a S-Thunder Short Pistol Grenade Launcher for a CQB Game we just had. Usually running a CZ-75D (Co2) for the winter. I usually can load 8 Mid Cap mags on the rig and 2 in the Roll-up dump pouch along with a TM 400rd Mini-Drum mag i like to use for longer engagements.

I guess I could dump some stuff off it like the Luancher, Grenade Holsters, Trench Knife and the Small Dump pouch on my back. It might make it a tad lighter, but I would lose some of those carry options for longer events. Thoughts??

FRONT

BACK

IN ACTION
"Might be old...Might be Slow, but I am like a Dog with a Bone. I never give it up."
THE PATRIOTS
The Arsenal: http://patriots.nepa-airsoft.com/Keeper ... s-2016.htm

MudOnYourFace
First Name: Oscar
Last Name: Alvarez

Re: Best Rig for MP5 Loadout - Your Opinion

Post by MudOnYourFace »

What about moving some of your gear to a belt? It takes the weight off your shoulders and puts it on your pelvis. You can run your sidearm (whatever that may be) and maybe a couple of speed reloads off your belt and put the rest on your vest.

Shoulder pads might help too. My rig felt 50% lighter as soon as I put HSGI shoulder pads on the straps.

If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with Blue Force Gear?

cardellos
First Name: STEPHEN
Last Name: Cardello

Post by cardellos »

you know to be honest its really hard to tell online what you could do.

as far as wearing a belt i wear a tool belt all day and yes it does feel a bit lighter for the first half of the day i notice a considrable strain on my lower back by the end of the day.

your best bet is to keep going through your load out and cutting out what is necessary and what you can live with out. i know its always hard but like with my tool belt i have all my tools in a bigger bag and then only take a hand full of hand tools i know or might use for the day. its helps out not carrying and extra 5-10 lbs a day. so in short plan your load out per mission. if need be bring an extra bag to keep in respawn with your extra pouches and gear for specific missions.

the other thing to do is train! i went from street running to trail running with a 10-12 lbs bag on my back. let me tell you the last op i was at whih was fallout, by the end of the day i was feel tired but i was one of the only team members able to make it up and down those hills in the south field with out stopping.
"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone"

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

MudOnYourFace wrote:What about moving some of your gear to a belt? It takes the weight off your shoulders and puts it on your pelvis. You can run your sidearm (whatever that may be) and maybe a couple of speed reloads off your belt and put the rest on your vest.

Shoulder pads might help too. My rig felt 50% lighter as soon as I put HSGI shoulder pads on the straps.

If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with Blue Force Gear?

I have worn two different rigs with 75% or more of the stuff on the belt and it got me later in the hips being sore. I am a old fart with bad knees, messed up back and a bunch of other issues, but I like to play and push myself. I usually pay for it the next day, but what is Airsoft without a little pain. I liked the rigs being set up that way, but I felt like I was like a Staypuff marshmellow man with everything sticking out from my hips.

Blue Force Gear - I picked up two of their Rigs and although they are decent, they are pricey for some. I was not impressed by their MP5 rig as it was tough getting mags out. They held in place find when crawling or going through brush, but tough pull them out on the fly.

Maybe it was just me though.
"Might be old...Might be Slow, but I am like a Dog with a Bone. I never give it up."
THE PATRIOTS

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

cardellos wrote:as far as wearing a belt i wear a tool belt all day and yes it does feel a bit lighter for the first half of the day i notice a considrable strain on my lower back by the end of the day.

I hear you on that. I was at a OP in Ohio and I loaded up to make sure I had enough mags and gear for the entire day as we did not come back to the AO for awhile. Sure it could have been the terrain and my physical condition (or lack of), but at the end of the day the belt rigs I was wearing made me ache. A younger team mate took pity on me and hauled some of the stuff for me I did not need, but it taught me a lesson. I need some support and spread the weight of my rig around. LBE rig was nice and light, but did not bring everything I needed to the game play.

I guess I just need to get tougher and nut-up! :mrgreen:
THE PATRIOTS

TJ
Game Producer / Retailer
First Name: Dean
Last Name: Amick

Post by TJ »

Classic MP-5 set up
Note the drop leg rigs

MudOnYourFace

Post by MudOnYourFace »

I think you touched on your own solution there: spreading it out. A combination of a vest, belt system, and a drop leg rig or two (held up high, not down by your knees) may let you carry nearly everything you want without feeling too much fatigue in any one spot.

I'm very used to carrying weight on my belt area as a rock climber and rigger, so the belt system works for me. Everyone comes with their own set of strengths and challenges, though.

I second cutting out whatever isn't necessary. If carrying all that ammo at once is putting too much strain on you, you can usually leave some of it in a ruck at respawn. That might not work for something like Bad Blood with a mobile respawn, but in that case, hopefully spreading out the load helps.

On the Blue Force Gear - I hear you on magazine extraction. Mine were tough to pull mags from at first, too. I stretched them out a little (stuck my Thunder Bs in there for a couple of weeks; that may be overkill for the SMG pouches) and now it's much easier to pull mags without losing any retention. If you still have the pieces you mentioned, try it out. Cutting a few ounces from your nylon, in addition to getting rid of a couple of magazines or weapons, can make a huge difference.

cardellos
First Name: STEPHEN
Last Name: Cardello

Post by cardellos »

i agree with the spreading gear out through out your body. no matter how you cut it unless you are crawling, sprinting, squatting, all with 10-20 lbs of gear on you on a normal basis you will always come away sore for an airsoft game. you are using muscles you do not normally use in daily life. with that being said the best way is training to build up these muscles. so i dont want to sound like a fitness freak cause lord know i am not though i wish i was a bit more. being your situation of a bad back and knees running s out of the question. so would be any other high impact workouts. but you can always go for long walks in a park or trail which will help you just getting those muscles worked out. with that being said everyones life is diffrent with the time they can give to these things and i hope that any of the advice we have offered has been helpful.

as for me i am getting out for a bike and a run. havent done that since i hurt my back in november. i will be in the same boat as you with soreness after a game today..
"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone"

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Thanks for the info guys. I had a game yesterday and the small amount of snow and hills taught me one thing....I need more advil!

I am going to dump a bunch of stuff as it is not needed (I think) and might look into some high leg platforms. I saw one somewhere (Evike maybe?) which was a SMG type, hard case triple drop-leg pouch. Can't find it now, but I will look around. I have a drop leg for my Thompson setup and that works well so i will have to see for my MP5.
THE PATRIOTS

MudOnYourFace

Post by MudOnYourFace »

I think this is what you're thinking of: http://www.evike.com/products/36314/

It looks great - hard shell means fast reloads and easy insertion, and this looks pretty lightweight.

I have to say, I have tons of respect for you getting out and playing/being active despite the soreness and past injuries. Looking forward to seeing you out on the field.