Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Burst Avocado MOSFET Review

Post by Moondog »

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ96SZ_xbIw

Burst Avocado Fire Controller
review by Moondog

This is the new Burst Avacado fire controller. It's a solid state device that allows you to fire in a 3-round burst like a real steel M4.

PACKAGE
The Burst Avocado comes in a plastic bag with a cardboard packaging. Printed on the back are a list of product features. Inexplicably, it lacks any printed instructions or manual on how to reprogram the burst settings. The QR tag and URL to 6mmproshop.com was a dead link. Fortunately there was a video on Evike.com that explained how to reprogram the unit. But this basic lack of info is unacceptable.

FORM AND FUNCTION
The unit itself is nicely built with a clear acrylic protective box around the circuit board and small Tamiya type connectors common to most AEGs.

Installation is easy, provided your AEG has room in the battery chamber. Some AEGs may require modification. In a front wired M4 or a CA G36C you'll remove the fuse and wiring connected to the gearbox and replace it with the Burst Avocado.

Supposedly, when connected a battery the unit will analyze it, and will give an audible beep when your battery reaches low voltage and cuts off the current. This is really only useful for Lipo batteries which can be seriously damaged by over-draining them. We weren't able to confirm this feature.

Once installed between the battery and gearbox, set your AEG to full auto and when you pull the trigger, it fires a crisp 3-round burst. To program it, set your selector to full-auto and keep the trigger depressed until you hear a beep. Then quickly pull the trigger, the number of times you want it to fire in a burst. Then pull the trigger one more time and hold and wait for the confirmation beep. You can set it from 1 to 12 shots in a burst. Or if you select more than 12, it will fire in a 30 shot burst.

Traditional airsoft MOSFET switches require you to rewire your gearbox to attach a low voltage bypass line to your trigger contacts while a high voltage line goes directly to your motor. The Burst Avocado doesn't require rewiring. But because all the current passes through your trigger contacts, you will eventually burn them out. Sooner, if you use high voltage LiPo batteries.

But the Burst Avocado does offer Active Breaking. It sends a reverse polarity pulse to the motor after each burst, stopping it from over turning and leaving your spring half compressed.

CONCLUSIONS
The Burst Avocado is the perfect upgrade for those who want the realism of a 3-burst. For those who have upgraded their AEG to sniper rifles and need them fixed in semi-auto. Or for those with full-auto only SAWs who have no way to fire in semi-auto.

Benefits
• Easy install
• Easy to program
• Active Breaking
• Prevents over-fire

Cons
• No voltage bypass
• May not fit all AEGs

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Moondog is the founder of Moondog Industries and New York's guide to airsoft NYCAirsoft.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Re: Burst Avocado MOSFET Review

Post by phridum »

Hey! This is awesome! I've always wanted a MOSFET for the Active Braking feature, but hate doing anything to my AEGs but plugging in the batteries. Perfect. This is a must have accessory for each gun if you ask me.

Quick question: What if I want to deprogram it to go back to full auto?

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

phridum wrote:Hey! This is awesome! I've always wanted a MOSFET for the Active Braking feature, but hate doing anything to my AEGs but plugging in the batteries. Perfect. This is a must have accessory for each gun if you ask me.

Quick question: What if I want to deprogram it to go back to full auto?
For full auto, simply remove it and reattach your battery directly or if you pull the trigger more than 12 times, it defaults to like 30 shots max per trigger pull which feels almost like full auto.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Post by phridum »

I think I'll definitely have to order one of these. I traded for one of the Evike raffle guns and got the ICS M3 Grease Gun which would be super fun for indoor play, but they frequently ban full-auto at those facilities. Since this can be programmed for one shot, it will take my full-auto only gun to be indoor legal.

Sinner
Site Admin

Post by Sinner »

I have one and like it but I have yet to put it to the test in a full day of play. I've been told by numerous people that 11.1 lipo will burn these out but I haven't tested that theory yet myself. I generally believe 11.1 will burn everything out eventually and usually use 7.4 lipo.

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

It's happened to Angel. The Avocado says it rated up to 11v but I think the not much over that. If a Lipo is over volt aged due to over charging, it can output over 14v at its peak. I suspect that's what's causing the burn out.