Western Arms M4 CQB Gas Blow Back Review

Detailed reviews and links to reviews of weapons and gear

Moderator: redbull

Nachostheclown
Site Admin

Western Arms M4 CQB Gas Blow Back Review

Post by Nachostheclown »

I ordered this just because it looked kinda neat and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. This was ordered from Redwolf last Wednesday and it would have been delivered on Saturday had I been home to sign for it. It was picked up from the post office this morning. Overall three days from Hong Kong is not to bad.

This is just my initial impressions, since I believe it will take some time to come to final conclusion on this gun.

Part I
What you get in the box. You get the gun, magazine, loading tool, manual and assorted other printed material. The box itself is fairly plain.

The gun shipped with the trades covered by stickers that where easily peeled off. An orange flashhider was glued on and had to be chipped off. The original flash suppressor was in the box.

The guns upper and lower receiver are plastic as is the front sight post and flash suppressor. The RIS, carry handle, buffer tube are metal.

The trades are decent.

The selector lever feels almost the same as a real steel. It has safe, semi and auto. I'll go more into why the selector feels real in the disassembly portion of the review.

Look ma no motor

The working bolt gives the weapon a very realistic look.

Those of you familiar with real steel M series weapons will notice that the carbine has a star chamber as well as locking lugs on the bolt face. So even with the bolt open the weapon still looks very real.

More to follow.

Nachostheclown
Site Admin

Re: Western Arms M4 CQB Gas Blow Back Review

Post by Nachostheclown »

Part II

Disassembly is quite easy and those who have worked with real steel M series guns will have no problem. The take down procedures are identical until you get to the bolt. Push out the body and the rest is easy.

The bolt and charging handle.

The bolt face.

Now onto the reason why the selector feels so real. As you can see in this picture the trigger group looks very much like the real thing.

The hop adjustment is located under the RIS near the delta ring.

In this picture you can see the star chamber and the inside of the upper receiver.

Nachostheclown
Site Admin

Re: Western Arms M4 CQB Gas Blow Back Review

Post by Nachostheclown »

Some better real steel comparison photos.

Here they are hinged open. As you can see the WA has round select fire bolt while my civilian legal AR has the semi only half circle bolt.

Close up of the trigger pack. Again you can see the WA has the select fire sear while the civilian legal has a solid piece of steel with colt stamped on it. The select fire sear is very similar to the one found on real steel select fire M series weapons. I'll see if I can get get into the armsroom this week and do side by side with a real one.

Bolt pics