Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

WE XDm

Post by Moondog »

Youtube: T3-kBvsWZLo

WE Springfield XDm
Review by Moondog

Take an Austrian Glock, add in spoonful of Swiss SigSaur and a hint of American 1911 and you'll get a Croatian dish in shiny American packaging known as the Springfield XDM by W.E.

HISTORY
The XD is the American name for the HS2000, a pistol designed and built by the Croatian firm HS Produkt. Spring Field Armory negotiated a license to sell the HS2000 in the US under the name XD which stands for eXteme Duty. The XD is marketed toward Glock fans in Law Enforcement and civilian market.

PACKAGE
Due to trademark issues, the XD is not currently available for sale in the US but you can buy spare parts from many US retailers. We assembled a gun by buying replacement parts: a complete slide set with barrel and a lower frame set, which includes a magazine. 

FORM AND FUNCTION
The XD is essentially a copy of a Glock with design details taken from other pistols. It has a Glock style trigger, a Sig style slide lock and a frame obviously inspired by the P99. The XD is noted for copying the Colt 1911's grip angle but the back of the grip is closer to the slide, so it draws and sights more like a Glock than a 1911 or M9. It's safety features include a Glock-style 2-stage trigger, a trigger lock under the barrel and a 1911 style grip safety.

The frame is polymer and the slide is metal as in the real gun. The texture on both looks realistic, though the faux Parkerized finish scratches off rather easily as with most WE pistols. The slide has both front and rear serrations for a positive grip when racking. It has highly detailed, moulded model markings on the slide, indicating this is a replica of the .40 cal model with a 4.5" barrel. The sights are M9 style 3 dots. It features a mock loaded chamber indicator and in a nice touch of realism, it has a functional pin on the back of the frame, which pops out indicating when the gun is cocked and ready to fire. 

The grip is reminiscent of a Walther P99, with a deeply grooved, non-slip pattern and broad thumb rest. Like a P99, it comes with 2 customizable backstrap panels for larger hands. The magazine has a stainless steel finish with a design that looks more M9 than a Glock. The magazine has a 25 BB capacity in a staggered pattern with gas efficiency comparable to WE's other 9mm style double-stack magazines: expect to shoot about 1.5 mags worth of BBs per gas fill.

PERFORMANCE
• At a 77º F ambient temperature with green gas, the gun fired around 300fps using .20g Bbs
• <1" lateral deviation from 20", firing from a bench rested position (3" tight group)
• Blowback was crisp

CONCLUSIONS
WE's XD is one of the most eagerly anticipated gun designs to come to airsoft. It takes a Glock's best traits and adds additional features in an ergonomic and futuristic design. WE has done a great job in creating a replica that captures many of the XD's finer details. And if you're a Glock shooter, this may be your next favorite pistol
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Re: WE XDm

Post by phridum »

My buddy's been looking to buy one of those for sometime now.

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

I bought 2 spare mags for this because I thought I'd make this my new primary. Unfortunately since I'm muscle trained on the 1911 and hate having to lose a half second in adjusting my sights downward. I may try shooting with a point-shoot grip to adjust. Thankfully since it doesn't have the same recoil as a real gun, I don't have to worry about the loss of grip from shooting with my middle finger.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Post by phridum »

It's interesting that you're having this problem. The real steel guns have a similar grip angle to a 1911 as opposed to finding yourself looking at the top of the slide as with a Glock. I had selected one of these firearms primarily because of that issue with Glocks. The airsoft design must be based off Glock parts and design rather than an actual XD. For me, that defeats the commonality of function reason to own one (if you own the real steel version that is).

I have found it easier to simply run a new gun off-handed (lefty for me), rather than try to break muscle memory. That might work for you. It's a very telling problem though because if I were sighting properly, I would have the muscle memory of lining up my sights, acquiring the clear front sight/blurry target, and engaging a threat properly aimed. Would be the same with every weapon...shrug.

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

I had a closer look at the XD side-by-side to my TacOps 1911 HiCappa and dog gone, the grip angles do match! So why does the front sights go high when I draw (versus a 1911)? I tried swapping out the back straps and that didn't help.

After looking at both guns on top of each other I finally realized it's not the angle. It's because the back of the grip on the XD goes up much higher than a 1911 because it doesn't have a beavertail safety. Because the back of my hand now rides up much higher, the grip rides lower than my 1911 and therefore, the tip of my barrel is slightly higher!

I guess WE did do a good job matching the real XD. It's just that the XD's grip really is designed to be more friendly for Glock shooters than for 1911 shooters.

I guess that's why they sell these: http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/8_ ... for+Glock/

Mark Twain
Site Admin
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Tevis

Post by Mark Twain »

This is exactly the problem I had w/ the Glocks; I had to re-position after draw. That's how I ended up w/ my first Sig and then 1911. Have never looked back............................. 8-)
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it's lightning that does the work"

Mark Twain 1835-1910

Call Sign: Mark Twain

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

Evike asked me to pull mention of them due to the licensing issues with the gun. I'll repost an edited video without their logo later this week.

Headkill
Site Admin

Post by Headkill »

The Springfield XD/XDm has a really high height over bore....... that could be a contributor to the issues you're seeing with sight position.

For the life of me though, I can't figure out why there aren't any S&W M&P GBBs yet...

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

Video review has been updated (above). New link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-kBvsWZLo