Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

M99 "Snow Wolf"

Post by Moondog »

YouTube Video Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-l7h0gt6w

ACM M99 "Snow Wolf"
by Phridum

The airsoft sniper market has been flood with imitations of Remington 700's and Accuracy International rifles. Since Tokyo Marui and Maruzen first produced their versions of these rifles, snipers and tinkers have poured their hard earned income on modifications and after market parts to gain the edge in both performance and accuracy. Finally, after years of waiting, the bolt action springer community has a new platform to turn their knowledge and dedication to, the ACM M99 replica.

The Model 99 was first introduced in 1999 by Barrett Rifles, the company famous for their semi-automatic Model 82 fifty caliber; designated M107 by the United States Army. However the M99 was developed to fill a gap in applications that emphasized accuracy over firing rates. It features a bull-pup design, shortened barrel, and single-shot breach. As a result, this version of fifty caliber sniper weapons is a less expensive alternative better suited for counter-sniper urban operations and explosive ordinance disposal. It also proved itself in a 2001 competition, were it set a world record by placing five consecutive rounds in a four point zero nine inch group at one thousand yards.

The packaging is simple but efficient. While I'm sure many graphic artists and collectors out there may be disappointed in the lack of crisp graphics and sexy data tables, I can't help but appreciate development being diverted to the weapon system itself. The box protects the product during transport and efficiently manages the space needed for such a robust airsoft rifle. However, since knowledge is power and safety could potentially be an issue with such a poorly translated manual, a little bit more effort could have been put into that department.

While I haven't ever handled the real steel version of the M99, my operational experience with the M82A3 leads me to believe this is a fair representation. The muzzle brake is spot on, the trigger pull is similarly gritty, even the harsh metal on cheek inspired slightly forgotten memories. The concept of a "full metal" airsoft gun has never been fully realized like this. It should hold up for quite a while.

As I began disassembly, I was shocked at how many parts in this design are likely to NEVER break. I only found a handful parts that weren't metal. A small lever in the lower trigger group, the piston, the hop rubber and nub, the magazine, and the buttstock. The inner barrel is listed as a "stock tight bore" and it certainly is of a more ridged bull barrel design. With the exception of the proprietary trigger group assembly, the M99 is a shell for the APS-2. However, since all the parts are metal, I don't think much will need to be upgraded except the spring and hop-up rubber. If you use the barrel polishing methods developed on the Airsoft Sniper forums, you shouldn't have any problem having a gun that performs on par with the +$500 upgraded systems.

Out of the box, this cannon was shooting 478 FPS with .2 gram match grade BB's. Our accuracy tests put five .28 gram BB's in a 6 inch group at 100 feet for the best group. I have no doubt that with the tinkering no sniper can resist, this rifle can develop into the accurate long range performer it was intended to be. The only issues I experienced with the rifle had to do with it's magazine. The internal spring proved to be to strong. After the first shot stripped the top BB, and you racked the bolt for the second shot, the magazine had a tendency of unloading the magazine into the chamber, sometimes firing five or six BB's at a time.

However, the issues with magazine reliability were disappointing for a gun on the higher end of typical clone prices. No matter how awesome a gun looks, it's hard to appreciate one that functions questionably. The weight may also be a concern to some. While your typical airsoft sniper will whine about it or laugh at anyone who actually considers using this in a game, I consider it a positive thing. Having served in the Marines and in Iraq, I'm no stranger to the fact that sometimes the best equipment for the job is also the heaviest. In the hands of a dedicated sniper, this rifle will prove to be a solid performer famous for making the lazy call their hits at unheard of distances. It's durable. It's accurate. It's unique. It's upgradeable. But most importantly, airsoft companies are daring to try new things and listen to their customers. The ACM M99 is proof that our community is heard.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Re: M99 "Snow Wolf"

Post by phridum »

I recieved the following question from Kinko6 via PM and felt everyone would benefit from the clarification.
I was hoping you could answer a few things about the Snow Wolf that was reviewed here. I have been trying to find out what type of magazines it takes as I have been given mixed info. Also, what is the inner barrel length? The review was great but I was confused as to whether this airsoft gun was a bullpup or if you were just referring to the real steel. I appreciate what you are doing for the community, keep up the good work!
Excellent questions, sorry about not being entirely clear in the review.

Short answers: We suspect APS-2 because all the other internals are compatible, but we haven't actually tried it so we don't know. The inner barrel is 590mm long and 6.04-6.05 diameter.

Long answer: The real steel Barrett M99 is actually a "bullpup" because the trigger housing is in front of the loading chamber (basically putting your face and eyes right above where the bullet ignites to fire). However, the airsoft M99 is only bullpup in appearance. The magazine and chamber are forward of the pistol grip, much like other bolt action airsoft guns that place the magazine much further forward than the real steel. This is to open up space for a longer cylinder which helps achieve the higher and more consistent velocities.

I hope that helps to clarify your questions!

POP414

Post by POP414 »

I was curious if there were any recommended upgrades for this gun. I've been looking for an affordable airsoft .50 for as long as i've played airsoft, so i am definately going to buy this rifle. Through all the reviews i have read it appears that it is definately a great buy, but like i hjufirst said, i just want to know if there is something i should save up for to get along with it.

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

We managed to get one of the first rifles in the US. Evike has since sold-out and folks keep asking us where they can buy it while others who ordered are still waiting to get theirs after nearly 9 months. If you can get it somewhere, I would. This may be a rare model now. The Chinese gov has closed a number of AEG factories including JG which was making this rifle.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

POP414

Post by POP414 »

Evike says that they are going to get some in stock March 1rst so I hope it stays in stock long enough for me to buy one. thanks for the info tho, i didnt realize how difficult this gun is to find. i guess im going to have to try to get the money faster than i thought.

Edit: As much as I dislike Airsplat.com, apparently they have this rifle in stock. However they do not sell any accessories, except for a few scopes. Does anyone know if M99 is compatible with APS-2 magazines? I know that the internals are mostly APS-2, but i read in a review that the magazine was awkward, too small or something like that. Can anyone verify?
Swift, Silent, Deadly.