JG BAR-10 Upgraded, won't feed properly

Post by Tsuyoi »

So I ordered a custom JG Bar-10 from Evike with the following internals:

Angel Custom Hopup Chamber

Prometheus 509 6.03 inner

PDI bore-up v-trigger and piston end

PDI VC Precision Cylinder

Angel Custom SP170 spring.

And now I have the very frustrating issue of the mags not feeding properly. If i just hold the gun normally, right side up, and try to chamber and fire a round, nothing comes out. But if I hold it up side down or put my hand over the mag, effectively pushing it up by like 1 millimeter, it feeds and fires.

I originally suspected the mag, but both the stock mag and the spare I bought with it have the same issue. This leads me to believe that the tech heads at Evike didn't align something properly. I suspect either the piston or hop-up. Particularly annoying since it's off by only like 1 millimeter.

However, I've never taken apart a bar-10, and am particularly loathe to try any internal mods myself on an upgraded one. Anyone with experience care to suggest some solutions, or possible causes other than alignment issues?
Callsign: Tsuyoi

Loadout:
KWA KM4 RIS with Madbull QD Mock Silencer + Barska Scope
KWA M9
A whole lot of guts

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: JG BAR-10 Upgraded, won't feed properly

Post by Moondog »

Have you contacted Evike and asked their techs to walk you through fixing the problem?
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Tsuyoi
First Name: Tianwei
Last Name: Xiong

Post by Tsuyoi »

Honestly at this point the Evike tech heads frustrate me.

A day after getting the rifle, I tried it out and found out about the feeding issue. While testing it out, the bolt/spring also broke, so that the spring was pushing the bolt out fully. I contacted Evike, listed both problems, and sent in an RMA for repair.

After a week of zero contact from Evike, I get an email from them saying that there was a screw that had slipped/stripped in the trigger assembly, they fixed it, and it was now going to be shipped back to me. I email back immediately and asked, what about the feeding issue.

Evike replies (more or less in these words) "Every gun worked on by our tech team is put through a thorough series of tests for accuracy, grouping at 30 feet, FPS, and general operation before being shipped out. Please contact us with any future problems or issues with your gun."

Before I can reply again I get the tracking number from UPS stating it's been shipped out. I get it a week later, surprise surprise, mag's still not feeding properly.

I dunno what kind of "rigorous tests for accuracy and what not" Evike's tech teams did if they didn't even realize the mags don't feed, but I'm loathe to re-contact them.

Loadout:
KWA M9
A whole lot of guts

JuiceWizard
Site Admin

Post by JuiceWizard »

Is the mag release button returning to flush with the body when you put a mag in, or does it stay depressed?

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

PM Evike Mike or post in his thread here: http://nycairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=831
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Tsuyoi

Post by Tsuyoi »

JuiceWizard wrote:Is the mag release button returning to flush with the body when you put a mag in, or does it stay depressed?
the mag release button returns to pretty much flush, and the mag is secure, so I can't just pull it out without pushing the button again. The mag itself is relatively secure in the rifle itself (has a tiny bit of play, but I've yet to find a gun/mag that doesn't). However, I have to push up on it (making it shift about one millimeter upwards) for it to feed properly.

Moondog:

Is he an Evike tech? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be pming him the details of my problem or the overall experience or what <_<

Loadout:
KWA M9
A whole lot of guts

JuiceWizard
Site Admin

Post by JuiceWizard »

It sounds like the hopup chamber is not pushing the bb catch on the mag far enough to release a bb.

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

Tsuyoi wrote:
JuiceWizard wrote:Is the mag release button returning to flush with the body when you put a mag in, or does it stay depressed?
the mag release button returns to pretty much flush, and the mag is secure, so I can't just pull it out without pushing the button again. The mag itself is relatively secure in the rifle itself (has a tiny bit of play, but I've yet to find a gun/mag that doesn't). However, I have to push up on it (making it shift about one millimeter upwards) for it to feed properly.

Moondog:

Is he an Evike tech? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be pming him the details of my problem or the overall experience or what <_<
He is our direct rep from Evike on this forum. He handles issues encountered by our members, Find him in our member directory.
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379

Tsuyoi

Post by Tsuyoi »

So just an update to this after Ramming Speed and Speefy had a go at the gun.

The feeding issue was caused because the hop up nub/bucking had not been trimmed, and was sticking all the way into the chamber, pushing against the mag/bb. Ramming Speed has fixed this with a pair of scissors.

The spring they put in was some weird spring that doesn't quite fit into the PDI precision cylinder, making it very hard to pull back. Currently have a temporary spring in there with the original stock vsr-10 spring guide, will be ordering a new 13mm pdi spring to go with the pdi spring guide from AA soon.

The trigger assembly itself has been drilled and kludged to fix the original problem, rather than a replacement. This may cause screws to snap/decreased lifespan.

After contacting Evike, they say they have no record of any tech having told me the gun will achieve a desired fps (since it was over the phone), and no tech recalls it, and the email I had sent confirming that fps requirement was sent to sales, not tech, so it didn't count. Their response was to issue another RMA to "look for any potential further problems and possible solutions".

Customer rep also said my first RMA should have come back with a sheet of paper listing all problems found and solved, and the fps of the gun. Never got any such paper in the RMA shipped back to me.

All in all, a dissapointing experience with Evike custom work. Will not be using them again for custom upgrades/repairs.

Loadout:
KWA M9
A whole lot of guts

Erebus
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Hemphill

Post by Erebus »

To be honest, I have yet to find a company that really does brilliant in house customization. Through personal experience or the experiences of people I know I'm aware of issues coming from Evike, Redwolf, Airsoft GI and Ehobby. While it is certainly not a case that every customized gun is bad, there seem to be a disproportionate number of problems, all of which have led to headaches with tech support. Ironically this seems to only happen with in house upgrades. Regarding issues on stock guns I've had good experiences with both Evike and Airsoft GI. Can't speak to Redwolf or Ehobby though because shipping anything back to them costs an arm and a leg long before any problem can be solved.

In conclusion, there are a lot of people local that can help with customizing a gun, so I'd say do it yourself with a friend, or at worse take it to a local dealer where you can show up and yell at them in person if there is an issue rather than having to deal with RMAs and shipping turn arounds. Just my 2 cents.
Signature and personality being remodeled