Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

M16/M4 Disassembly & Tightbore Replacement

Post by Moondog »

Guide: M16/M4 Disassembly, Tightbore and Bucking Replacement
by Moondog

Since M4's and M16 variants are the most common airsoft AEG. One of the most common questions we get is, 'how do I replace the hop-up?' or "how do I install a tight-bore?"

Here's a video of how to take one apart. There are some slight differences in takedown for CA vs. ICS vs. most other TM clone M16/M4's due to their receiver construction.

TM/clone M4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sj_9yPwxPc
CA M15: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFouPYgIFg0
ICS M4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyjt91LP ... re=related

Here's a step-by-stop guide for those wanting to take apart a M4 V2 hop-up unit to replace a hop-up bucking, inner barrel or parts.
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/reviews/s ... roduct=118

For more info on which bucking to buy, etc. read this post in Pimp my Airsoft:
http://nycairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=127

Those who want to post their own guide, please post here.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

artofwar
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Hendrick

Re: M16/M4 Disassembly & Tightbore Replacement

Post by artofwar »

I noticed this post and have to ask, I love my KWA and have always said the next upgrade would be a tight bore barrel. Is it worth it and would i have to worry about a FPS boost?
The only easy day was yesterday.

Novice
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Nehring

Post by Novice »

artofwar wrote:I noticed this post and have to ask, I love my KWA and have always said the next upgrade would be a tight bore barrel. Is it worth it and would i have to worry about a FPS boost?
IMO opinion that's one of the few upgrades that seems worth it on a KWA rifle. My KWA SR10 is shooting ~360 with 0.25g bbs with its stock 6.05 mm barrel, but with a 6.03 madbull or prometheus barrel upgrade it would likely the boost the gun closer to the 400 fps limit for AEGs. I'm not sure about your gun, but with my gun I wouldn't have to worry about the FPS boost to much, it should still be outdoor field legal with a tight bore barrel upgrade. While I've seen the fps of a gun jump up by 60 fps when using a high-end tight bore I doubt it'd be that much of a jump on a KWA as they are already made fairly high quality.

Background knowledge on this matter:
  • Youtube Videos on barrel upgrades
Callsign / Nickname : Misha / Миша

artofwar

Post by artofwar »

I am really starting to want to get a EdGI - 6.01mm tight bore barrel for my KWA SR10. My only concern is cleaning it, I am reading with the tight bore barrels I need to clean it after every time using it. Do you know if that can be done without taking the barrel off?

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

artofwar wrote:I am really starting to want to get a EdGI - 6.01mm tight bore barrel for my KWA SR10. My only concern is cleaning it, I am reading with the tight bore barrels I need to clean it after every time using it. Do you know if that can be done without taking the barrel off?
That's a exhageration, unless your BB's are really, really dirty. You should clean your barrels for maximum performance (dust and dirt will add some friction to the barrel) but it's nowhere near as dirty as real steel barrel after use.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Tsuyoi
First Name: Tianwei
Last Name: Xiong

Post by Tsuyoi »

Just make sure you use really good bbs for a 6.01 tightbore. After each game, just use the little plastic rod that comes with the SR10 and run it through once or twice, no need to dissasemble.

I'd say take out the barrel and thoroughly clean it once every 4-5 games, depending on how rough you are with it.
Callsign: Tsuyoi

Loadout:
KWA KM4 RIS with Madbull QD Mock Silencer + Barska Scope
KWA M9
A whole lot of guts

Erebus
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Hemphill

Post by Erebus »

artofwar wrote:I am really starting to want to get a EdGI - 6.01mm tight bore barrel for my KWA SR10. My only concern is cleaning it, I am reading with the tight bore barrels I need to clean it after every time using it. Do you know if that can be done without taking the barrel off?
I don't see why you would need to disassemble it to glean the barrel. Just turn the hop up all the way down, blow some compressed air followed by some teflon down the barrel from the magwell, and finally swab it out with a cleaning rod and some cotton fabric. Fire a few rounds out to reset the hop and clean out any remaining lube and you're good. Unless it is truly filthy this should take care of it.
Signature and personality being remodeled

artofwar

Post by artofwar »

So it appears they only place to get an EdGI is directly from the guy that makes them and he charges $60 plus DHL Shipping cost of $55.

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

I use Angel Customs tbb & love them! Evike carries them & they also carry Edgi's as well.
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=35481
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379

artofwar

Post by artofwar »

So I been in contact with EdGI and they have no USA retailer at the moment so I would have to order direct and the price for shipping regardless if I order one barrel or 4 is $55. Anyone interested in getting in on a order with me? Also anyone have thoughts on porting the front of the barrels?