Low velocity on Echo1 V3 gearbox AK47.

Advice on maintenance, problems and repair

Moderators: JuiceWizard, redbull

Ir0nExpress

Low velocity on Echo1 V3 gearbox AK47.

Post by Ir0nExpress »

Hey guys. I've essentially played with my AK for about 9 months now, but this is the first problem that I've encountered. The gun works just like day 1, it fires all the time and it's pretty reliable. I've never taken it apart, but I've only played around 20 or so times since I bought it and I can only shoot semi only since it's indoors.

Only problem: I've lost about 100 fps in performance over time from 350 ish to 250, it doesn't make a difference indoors since I get up to them really close anyway. The gun still fires fine as if everything is fine minus the low velocity, no change in sound or any malfunctions. I'm assuming the piston head has probably lost compression and needs to be replaced or could it be the AEG mainspring that has lost its strength? The gearbox doesn't look too crazy since I've done some reading And I have mechanical experience, I just don't feel like shelling out $35 to the local shop for a gun that costed me $120 dollars new...

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Low velocity on Echo1 V3 gearbox AK47.

Post by Moondog »

Ir0nExpress wrote:Hey guys. I've essentially played with my AK for about 9 months now, but this is the first problem that I've encountered. The gun works just like day 1, it fires all the time and it's pretty reliable. I've never taken it apart, but I've only played around 20 or so times since I bought it and I can only shoot semi only since it's indoors.

Only problem: I've lost about 100 fps in performance over time from 350 ish to 250, it doesn't make a difference indoors since I get up to them really close anyway. The gun still fires fine as if everything is fine minus the low velocity, no change in sound or any malfunctions. I'm assuming the piston head has probably lost compression and needs to be replaced or could it be the AEG mainspring that has lost its strength? The gearbox doesn't look too crazy since I've done some reading And I have mechanical experience, I just don't feel like shelling out $35 to the local shop for a gun that costed me $120 dollars new...
3 possibilities come to mind:

1) Your spring was left compressed for an extended period of time (you should always fire in semi twice which resets the spring to a resting position). You'll need a new spring.

2) The o-ring on your piston has become stiff and dried out. A new o-ring is a few bucks from a hardware store. I think it's a size 14 or 12. Just bring your o-ring in for sizing.

3) Your piston head vent ports have become clogged with excess grease. Simply clean it out and apply a light coat on the o-ring.

But let me also point out that a 250fps AEG is perfectly fine for playing at StrikeForce sports or even Stryker (with a good hop-up). Your accuracy doesn't suffer much at CQB range using .20g BBs.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Ir0nExpress

Re: Low velocity on Echo1 V3 gearbox AK47.

Post by Ir0nExpress »

Thanks for the quick reply! :) Now I know it's probably not that serious :P As for the FPS, I know it's fine for indoors as I played with it during the recent game, but the fact it shoots low bothers on a psychological level xP