sonic
Site Admin
First Name: Ian
Last Name: Conolly

AAR/Lessons Learned Op Bad Blood Dryrun June 7, PSI NY

Post by sonic »

Operation Bad Blood 2014 Dryrun Event
June 7, 2014 PSI Plattekill, NY

On June 7 a small group went out to PSI to conduct a walkthrough and have a practice game on the Southern Congo AO of PSI. Herein are the topics we covered and the lessons we learned from our practice session.

1. General Safety
• River Crossing
The explaination of how a River Crossing works was pretty well received. To cross the River (Camp Sunset Road) the entire faction must cross together. Crossings can only be made from set points on the map of the AO. No crossings or landings can be made at ports not marked on the map.
• M.E.D. near roads
The minimum engagement distance near roadways was discussed at length. NO shots can be fired across Camp Sunset Road. You may not fire on an target that is standing within 50 feet of the road. This is not to say players can use proximety to the road as cover.
*NOTE* The "Pipeline" section of the AO is within the 50 foot distance of the River. Factions are advised to be very cautious of firing towards the road in this area, but are not forbidden from doing so. Common sense is key and do not abuse this exception to the rule.
• M.E.D. combatant
Minimum engagement of an enemy combatant was discussed and understood. For any semi-only/sniper rifle firing above 400 and under 500FPS must maintain a minimum distance of 100 feet. There is no safety kill or "bang bang" rule, instead we use a "Surrender or Die". If your target does not accept surrender, you are authorized to shoot them, reasonably, in the boot.

2. Triage & Respawn
• Embeds' role
Not all Embeds were available to participate in the practice. The role of the Embed was discussed and was understood on at a base level. The Embed is a rule enforcer and mediator. Yes, the Embed is a fighting soldier, but must keep the fairplay and sportsmanship of the game as the number 1 priority.
• Triage location
There was a bit of confusion on the idea of mobile respawn. Not everyone understood that after taking a hit, they must retreat to the Triage and wait out the time block (we used 5 minute intervals).
The Embed must remain with the force so they can establish the Triage immediately. Breaking into squads or going Lone Wolf makes it impossible to locate Triage and respawn with your faction.
• Respawn times
We used a 5 minute respawn interval to speed up game play. The respawn interval at Operation Bad Blood will be 10 minutes, but if the time needs to be adjusted in-game, Moondog will make a decision.

3. Tribal Procedures
• Sample placement
The Tribals all-in-all were top notch and performed their duties admirably. The Southern Congo still has very limited areas of "man made structure" so they made do with what they have. Sample placement wasn't too hard or too difficult. As a non-combatant I was able to located every box without much difficulty.
• Respawn
Tribals for the most part understood how they are to respawn, by melting into the foliage and respawning out of sight after a bleed out interval. I think this procedure should be reinforced come game day, but the Tribals present at practice got it no problem.

4. Communications Reliability & Usage
• CO/Embed requirements
As expected, communication was severly lacking. Not all Embeds arrived with radios, which is a major requirement for that role. Those with radios stepped on the Admin channel, but quickly fixed the issue when reminded. It is key that COs have at least one radio and Embeds have two. Staying in contact with Moondog and fellow Embeds will help us run a smooth game.
• General player requirements
Almost no players had suitable radios. Of those that did, some couldn't reach the higher channels required. We'll make it work, as long as Embeds and COs establish how to use the radios properly.

5. PSI Readiness
• Southern field structures
PSI is trying to bolster up the Southern Congo, but with a lack of paintball happening in that area, it seems it is not a huge priority. There is a serious lack of "man made" structures and Tribals should be made aware of that.
• PSI Staff
The staff at PSI is doing their best to prepare for our event. They have already staffed for ports along the River and scattered throughout the AO. PSI has purchased closed circuit radios for themselves that are not compatible with our FRS range. There is talk to equip some of the NYCAirsoft staff with loaner CC radios to say in contact in case of emergency.

6. Lessons Learned
COs and Embeds should take special care to make sure the overall mission is crystal clear and the rules of the game are properly understood. There will be hiccups and problems. Issues will need to be rectified quickly, calmly and fairly to make sure everyone understands the problem and is having a good time.

Triage and respawn has to be explained and understood a few times to make sure everyone is on the same page. Players should also understand that even though a rival Embed is an "enemy", if you need help approach any Embed and they will do whatever is required to assist you.

Heat is going to be a major factor in the game. Adequate hydration is key. It will be very hot, you will be always moving and the hills and valleys will test all of your strength. The most important lesson I can impart is when in Triage, hydrate. Going down with heat exhaustion or dehydration isn't fun and our medical personnel is limited. Play it safe, and don't be the tough guy that "can handle it".

psiamp
First Name: Anthony
Last Name: Sasso

Re: AAR/Lessons Learned Op Bad Blood Dryrun June 7, PSI NY

Post by psiamp »

very well put sonic let me just say what sonic said about being hydrated is very very important please make sure you bring enough water.. it wasnt that hot there yesterday in mid 80's but going up and down the hills and with your load out you will get exhausted and dehydrated very fast i had water and was sweating a ton..

one thing sonic didnt mention is if you guys as a faction are going across the road or walking down the road please please make sure you do it single file as cars fly by doing 40 mph and up we saw some yesterday doing that.. and cross when its safe dont chance it

i know for a fact i will have a basic med kit with me bandaids headach pills tape for small cuts and brusies im trying to get my hands on a bigger better med kit with ace banges and splints just in case we need them but not sure if i will get it in time..

also make sure you bring bug spray as both me and sonic told people yesterday there are ticks out there with lyme diease and its a strain that resits the drugs.. so please bring bug spray or ask a fellow team member if they have some to spare

and most of please everyone remeber its a game have fun out there and be safe yes winning is fun but so is playing and not getting hurt

soccerman245
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Kishel

Post by soccerman245 »

What kind of bug spray repels ticks?

sonic
Site Admin
First Name: Ian
Last Name: Conolly

Post by sonic »

soccerman245 wrote:What kind of bug spray repels ticks?
Deep Woods OFF, Deet, etc. Read the labels and make sure to spray all over your stuff paying close attention to wear your boots meet your trousers and your blouse cuffs.

Mark Twain
Site Admin
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Tevis

Post by Mark Twain »

Great overview of the Dry Run Sonic !

It was definitely worth the effort. Tribal brought game for this one !! ( they always do )

We ironed out some triage / hit mis-understandings by both sides in the first 20-30 minutes. Tribal and the rest of the other factions have very different respawn rules. The small number of players in the dry run added a bit of complexity to the mobile respawn . If the embed was the only one left alive in your faction ( we had four players on DEUS X / Marxist ) you did not want to move to him and give away his position. This won't be an issue with 100 + players on a team.

Alliances were struck early with DEUS X being singled out (Sonic said something about our reputation proceeded us ???? :P ) and we were absolutely hemmed in by high ground and superior numbers/firepower. We finally fought our way to the top in the second hour and were able to join forces with Tribal on top for some high-ground advantage. Thanks to Goose for not shooting me in the head in the last ten minutes when I snuck a peek down over a rock ledge; he was right there and elected not to pull the trigger. Thanks again !

I was killed by a "shrubbery" many times ( great camo ) . Sonic had provided some great props for sample boxes. I opened two. One had a sample; the other was booby trapped and I died. Nice job buddy !

To reiterate what Sonic said - HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE in advance !!!! Use some sort of bug/tick repellant as I found a dead one on my pants when putting them into the laundry that night. Bring your hill legs. Bring food to eat on the field; my body likes Cliff Bars, trail mix, and Gatorade chews. Don't experiment with some crazy different food that you have never tried on game day as your body may not like it (read that to be don't spend your game in the head). Bring comfortable broken in boots. Leave your brand new ones at home as this is not the AO to wear them for the first time. We handed out a lot of moleskin to kids last year who were rockin' out-of-the box footwear. (and I apologize in advance - being an old fat guy I may be cutting back on my game day rig to something more minimal which means less storage for tools/parts/supplies for others. PLEASE come prepared )

And based on the Dry Run come prepared to have some fun !!!!!!!!!!
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it's lightning that does the work"

Mark Twain 1835-1910

Call Sign: Mark Twain

psiamp
First Name: Anthony
Last Name: Sasso

Post by psiamp »

lol well put mark sorry i couldnt stay for the whole game but as you saw with a full load out and just walking it was tuff for me it also didnt help i still have my shit bag lolol as for the ticks your right as i was de gearing at my car i found one on my boot half dead..

i spent all day yesterday re doing my rig like you said im a fat old guy also with a shit bag attached LOLOLOLOL im trying to cut it down to bare min but hard

as for boots your right comfortable broken in boots best for this ao even more so on south side of road

looking forward to seeing you on the field brother

Muthur
Site Admin
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Zinner

Post by Muthur »

soccerman245 wrote:What kind of bug spray repels ticks?
Soccerman check out this thread - viewtopic.php?f=35&p=16949
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in
New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.

OP: Bad Blood 2011/2012/2013/2014/2015
OP: Fallout 2011/2012/2014/2015
OP: Tantalum Contract 2012
OP: Early Dawn 2012 | OP: Second Dawn 2013
T4T:NY 2011 | T4T:NJ 2012
CQB: Point Blank 2011 | CQB: Washi Flood Relief Game 2011
Evike Pistol ShootOut 2011 | Steel Challenge 2011 | LeukeM.I.A. 2011
Miami Vice of the Dead 2012

Muthur
Site Admin
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Zinner

Post by Muthur »

Considering the large amount of players expected this year - would it make sense to up the embed number to 3 per team?

I realize it is very close to go date but it might be better to have a larger group in control. It might not be realistic since it seems as we get closer staff ready candidates are becoming more rare.
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in
New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.

OP: Bad Blood 2011/2012/2013/2014/2015
OP: Fallout 2011/2012/2014/2015
OP: Tantalum Contract 2012
OP: Early Dawn 2012 | OP: Second Dawn 2013
T4T:NY 2011 | T4T:NJ 2012
CQB: Point Blank 2011 | CQB: Washi Flood Relief Game 2011
Evike Pistol ShootOut 2011 | Steel Challenge 2011 | LeukeM.I.A. 2011
Miami Vice of the Dead 2012

Mark Twain
Site Admin
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Tevis

Post by Mark Twain »

psiamp wrote:lol well put mark sorry i couldnt stay for the whole game but as you saw with a full load out and just walking it was tuff for me it also didnt help i still have my shit bag lolol as for the ticks your right as i was de gearing at my car i found one on my boot half dead..

i spent all day yesterday re doing my rig like you said im a fat old guy also with a shit bag attached LOLOLOLOL im trying to cut it down to bare min but hard

as for boots your right comfortable broken in boots best for this ao even more so on south side of road

looking forward to seeing you on the field brother
You had me worried there brother for a bit as I lost track of you being on different teams. We were counting bodies coming out of the south side and you were missing. But luckily someone let us know from the parking lot that your vehicle was gone. You're not getting out of this that easy !!!! ;)
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it's lightning that does the work"

Mark Twain 1835-1910

Call Sign: Mark Twain

Harlem
First Name: Victor
Last Name: DeFelice

Post by Harlem »

Hydrate , Food and Bug spray are the basic's every one should have . The southern terrain is challenging it will give your legs a work out .
"The Terrorist knew how we would react they wanted us to speak the language of Violence"