AAR OP:X Fort Monmouth, NJ 9.20.14

After Action Reports, game photos and videos
DRK
First Name: Derek
Last Name: pom

AAR OP:X Fort Monmouth, NJ 9.20.14

Post by DRK »

LC has been around for over a dozen years and finally an event in NJ, the success of the Scranton game series was proof there can be a sizable turn out @ an NJ AO. It's a decent driving distance game that was close for many, for those that loved the event next years Irene is planned for this location.

But with far more in play, 1 block of play time at the projected next Irene is what the entire game was at OP: X. I.E. 1:30PM-5:00PM. There will be an attempt to get some army vehicles that were visible from the AO parking lot, moreover is 2 more buildings that will be negotiated in play, including the tunnel.

Those that went, remember those loud propane cannons going off? those were all mine, I messaged greg brothers asking if he would mind and he jumped on it, he was very thankful after the game. I bring them out often to the C&C field, but X side players complained so much that it was turned off for Sunday. I intend to have them back in play if the next Irene there happens. I saw a lot of familiar faces and teams out at this event and hope you can all make it to the follow up event, it was good playing with all of you.

I was really interested in this AO after seeing the pictures, so much so I did my best to avoid leadership role so I can enjoy it. But I ended up the 2nd platoon leader, The XO was a guy out of Maryland and we emailed each other back and forth a few times each week a month prior to the game. It was his first time as XO, so I shared my experience as XO at LC and fighting alongside Igor but moreover my experience with Bubba Moore, the X force CO.

With formation and morning speeches, John Lu did bring up about the PA shooting event. He stated how once a week he gets a call from someone in the media trying to work an angle on the story to scoop competitors, thinking that no one followed him up. he also stated that Penn state police did contact him also since eric did attend OP Northern Light in PA. He advised caution and common sense with how we the players treat airsoft in public and online. How easily what we do and say can be easily twisted by the media to suit a goal. Only a fool thinks they can be trusted.

For those who played on the X side, Bubba Moore is obviously a guy you can never forget. you can't be around him more than 5 minutes and not laugh. Expect to see him even more so at LC events, especially with this important fact:

Igor Dobroff intends to retire from airsoft, OP: X may have been his last game on the east coast. At best he may do Scranton if its back.

My conversation when drinking with Bubba at the LC event in South Carolina, Igor bounced the idea off Bubba of getting out. Igor is 52 and still works a day job early morning every monday and it went public on Bubba's FB page when Igor and John Lu visited Bubba's man cave.

So the AO has a polygonal shape, inside there is a lot of half floors and of course stairwells so you can fight in there and not even affect whats going on in the main hallways. It allowed a great escape and defend tactic(s), Nods were certainly not needed here... because it was one of the few AO's LC has used to have the lights on. To really boil it down, it was a massive CQB game. 4 floors of 2 forces hitting each other.

If there was a bottle neck/stall on one floor, the fight would quickly spread to another as the other force tries to circumvent the stalemate. It was something we had to keep mindful of as we did get back door'd a couple times during the 1st evolution. Not many players looked out the windows to see what was going on. I did catch a huge rule violation in the first hour by the X side players, a team called whiskey 6 from maryland fired out of the window onto russian players when in the morning brief 90 minutes earlier that it was not allowed. I thought my shoulder cam was on the whole time but when I learned it wasn't I was pissed.

There has been complaints in the past about LC not having enough props, in some cases I would agree. But not at this event, for a mostly indoor event, lots of props. To be fair it was using assets already built into the location. Having access to it really helped though, there was a conference room that the projector can be remotely turned on and off and footage fast forwarded. there was also a camera in the room, the control room had stuff triggering it to get players jumpy, especially things on screen like the space marines motion tracker from the Aliens series. As well as the front/main entrance having a little monitor near the check in booth that was also viewable from a control room.

There was a prop of something that was meant to look like a sci-fi reactor. In a dark room it was glowing and making sounds and had some fog. The room looked like the perfect death trap and was a frago later on. For those that did not attend, you have to understand there was so many rooms it was hard to quantify. Each room had office furniture (clean chairs), some rooms stacked some more barren. But just ample cover, single point entry in most of the half floors... It was a defenders dream.

In my 2nd platoon I had control over 3 squads, but having been in touch with the XO for a while he told me first that Igor needs a QRF/Spetsnaz platoon formed. So one squad was pillaged to help make up this platoon, that squad had 2 members in it that are friends of mine. Those two were in the VDV, Russian Airborne, which is what Igor was as well. I mentioned to them about Lion Claw at a casual airsoft game and they were interested because it had a guy who did what they did. But once there, they got hooked and can't wait for the next Op. It's something we all feel after a great game.

After lunch we went to the LC staff area to chat it up with Igor and John lu and crew:

Here we are forming up after lunch:
http://s208.photobucket.com/user/drkipl ... x.jpg.html

My second squad was players from 3 different teams, 1 of which was the amped airsoft staff. Since they were the sole vendor there, they needed to tidy up before getting in field so it was hard to get a grasp on them. They ended up doing their own thing, what was left of that second squad was just a few guys from PA and a fire teams worth from CT. More importantly is who made up my 3rd squad, That was TBD and NJCRT. They kicked ass, held their own while being heavily out numbered and slowed down X force advance stairwell after stairwell and accomplished frago's. If any of you read this, thanks for being on second platoon. Igor started us off on 4th floor before the game start, not a single complaint from any of you and had 2nd platoon hold the middle of the AO by stair well 5 which was dead center of all the action. That whole mission of having to move the scientist was able to freely move up to stairwell 5 because you forced X faction players to try and root you all out. If guys come out to the next Irene there, hope to have you again in the platoon.

Here is all the footage I ended up keeping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDylsV2 ... S7_Vj0EZtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN08HZe ... S7_Vj0EZtQ

Not much I know, but as platoon leader I wasn't meant to be the first one in.

Then came Saturday evening and we went out to eat after checking in the hotel, we talked about various things and headed back to the hotel to meet up with Igor (and drink). So we waited and waited, at least an hour and already started doing shots of raspberry stoli. I brought a vodka gift set for Igor as well, but we never ended up opening it so 1 of the VDV guys was driving cross country anyway and drove it out to him. Then John Lu and Igor show up and we laughed and did shots (JL doesn't drink though), it was great:

But I drank too much.. last thing I remember was not too long after this photo that was sent to lion claw angel Anya (the Russian Red head). I ended up time traveling because I remember it was around 9:30 when we took that photo then I suddenly wake up at 4:30 in the morning on Sunday, In the adjacent hotel room and proceeded to repaint the entire floor next to the bed. Yep it was bad, but Urah!!! I enjoyed the weekend.

The alcohol poisoning did slow me down for Sunday, I had take a nap in my truck at the AO parking lot and I did miss the closing ceremony too. In the end I had my fun with all my buddies and got to drink. That is what keeps airsoft together, at least to me.
Last edited by DRK on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
For Russia

OP: Northern Light 1,2,4
OP: Lightning Strike 1-4
OP: Bulldog 7
OP: Lion Claw XI
OP: Shahrazad 1,3
OP: Red Storm East 1,2,4,5
OP: Red Storm West 2014
OP: Swift Justice
OP: X 1,2
The Milwaukee Project
The Ohio Project

DRK

Re: AAR OP:X Fort Monmouth, NJ 9.20.14

Post by DRK »

For Russia

OP: Red Storm East 1,2,4,5
OP: Red Storm West 2014
OP: Swift Justice
OP: X 1,2
The Milwaukee Project
The Ohio Project

Monah
First Name: Yuriy
Last Name: Malakhov

Post by Monah »

Derek, you repaint entire room: floor, beds, table. Because of that i slept in Nikolay's room. And you have to post your Sunday morning picture)))

DRK

Post by DRK »

The floor is all I can remember.
For Russia