Does MIL/LE training crossover to airsoft?

Educate / Dominate - Real world tactical training discussions
phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Does MIL/LE training crossover to airsoft?

Post by phridum »

This question was posed in an Airsoft/Softair Group on LinkedIn:
Hey, what do you think about real world military tactics and how they translate to airsoft?

There are plenty of military training outfits around there, do you think there are any benefits to be had from attending such a course or is airsoft just too different from the "real world" for it to have any real impact...? If you are ex military have you found it makes you a better airsofter?
I keep my eye in both MIL/LE and airsoft cultures and I see a huge disparity in the quality and training with significant gaps. The military tactics and training that would be useful for airsoft aren't taught in the civilian market. They simply aren't sexy enough to get butts in the seats. The industry trend is toward Conceal and Carry, Home Defense, and ubersex CQB/SWAT style, which isn't all that useful for outdoor airsoft play.

The "real deal" guys tend to view the airsoft culture as annoying wannabe little kids. The instructors who are using airsoft in their curriculum are generally outliers in the community, and they are only using it for scenario based Force-on-Force personal training. They view airsoft equipment as an augment for muscle memory reinforcement and developing decision making in a fluid environment. It bridges the gaps between live fire on static targets, role play, and dry fire practice. So the few knowledgeable instructors who are open minded toward airsoft also aren't going to teach anything useful to hone your ability to play airsoft (save that it builds muscle-memory for you).

I have seen only seen a handful of airsoft instructors online, but they seem to be of two ilks. The first loves MILSIM and Gucci Gear and know the "how" of the CQB tactics, but don't really understand the "why", which is the crucial component of having an instructor. Anyone can read the manual, but an instructor should be able to write it on the fly to tailor to the student. The other kind is the former military type who might understand CQB room clearing, but that is not airsoft, no matter how much it may seem like it. They haven't "done it live" but may have scads of training hours under their belt. They are likely worth the money and will teach what they teach properly, but it is generally not all that useful to airsoft play. Here's why:

Law Enforcement style SWAT tactics are designed to combat lone wolf gunmen in small numbers, many of whom are not actually looking for a fight but will either surrender, run away, or commit suicide at the first sign of resistance. Military CQB tactics are designed to be effective against dug in enemies who are willing to fight to the death and as a result require an overabundance of violence and destruction, both to life and property. SWAT gasses the building, uses flashbangs in every window, and only targets a small scale. CQB uses grenades, rockets, and blowing mouse holes in walls to get from building to building.

Furthermore, the military recapture tactics for securing sensitive facilities such as submarines, nuclear magazines, or some such, is a blend between SWAT and CQB requiring an intense amount of precision teamwork. It gets the job done, but with the understanding that the facility is more important than life. Against an identical sized force defending a facility, even a better trained force is expected to have 80% casualties upon successful recapture.

While all airsoft games happen at CQB distance (since the max effective range of the average AEG is generously 150 feet), CQB tactics with its stacking and radio communications and reloads and secondary weapons are sorely lacking in the outdoor or multiple structure game types. Indoor is another story, but as mentioned in the previous paragraph, since your airsoft enemy wants a fight and you can't call in a JDAM, you will probably be on your way to respawn, after you get one or two or three, before you need to speed reload.

The optimal military training for crossover to airsoft is, at the biggest games, platoon level organization, simplified formations, basic understanding of Immediate Action Drills, and an overview of MOUT techniques. Three fighter/leaders who can perform these things should have no problem leading a 100 person team with a range of airsoft experience. Prior to the game you need only explain their squad, location in formation, dispersion, and who to watch so they can Monkey See Monkey Do. This has been proven for 6 years running at OP: Bad Blood. Only takes about 10min pre-game depending on their willingness to be wrangled.

Then the only contender is physical fitness. Geardos tend to wear more than they need, because they don't understand what they really need. This slows them down, coupled with not understanding what being fit really means. At the aforementioned games, I'd say 20-30% of the players actually keep up and finish the game for this reason (or the excuse they put in place).

So recap: basic infantry skills, MOUT not CQB, and physical fitness. If you can find someone to walk you through training in those things, your airsoft game will improve.

Sinner
Site Admin

Re: Does MIL/LE training crossover to airsoft?

Post by Sinner »

I have no military background, but I have played tactical action sports for more then 20 years. I have played with and against military and LE in training engagements and have learned a thing or 2 over the years. I agree with everything Phridum says here.

Rosales
Site Admin
First Name: Japheth
Last Name: Rosales

Post by Rosales »

These posts are always a good read. Thanks Phridum!
Do not meddle in the affairs of a dragon. For you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Fallout: Buran veteran
T4T 2012, 2013, 2014
OP: Seabird
Bad Blood 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 veteran

Mark Twain
Site Admin
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Tevis

Post by Mark Twain »

Once again great stuff from Phridum.

A few of us have had the honor of getting a few lessons from Phridum at the Tommy Gun event. Short, sweet, and straight to the point. Real world stuff translated to airsoft.

I've also had the honor of training and playing with the Patriots from NEPA. They too have a couple of recent "sand box era" vets and I have to agree with Phridum; there is a huge difference between the training that kept them alive and ANY translation into airsoft. The biggest difference I notice is the violence, speed, and intensity at which these actions are performed. It makes you realize that while you may have been taught the correct military way to clear rooms/ buildings in airsoft mode those that had to do it to stay alive have a whole different rythym to them. It's a humbling experience when you see it or experience it done the "real" way.

KISS ( keep it simple stupid ) is important in our sport; especially in the larger mixed experience games. And as Phridum pointed out a few good leaders at the Platoon level who can organize the players, teach the basics along with who to follow when all else fails are the ticket ( these aren't always military or LE either ). It's the best you can plan for ( strict mil/sim aside ) and insures that most will have fun. Which is what it's all about right ????? ;)

Thanks Travis ! 8-)
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it's lightning that does the work"

Mark Twain 1835-1910

Call Sign: Mark Twain

phridum
Site Admin

Post by phridum »

Absolutely, Mark Twain!

The biggest issue I see brought into airsoft games is a lack of trying to have fun. That's one thing Filforce always did pretty well. They loved the gucci MILSIM more than playing airsoft, and weren't shy about that, and always had fun focusing on what they loved about airsoft rather than getting wrapped around the axle about start times and respawn rules!

Muthur
Site Admin
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Zinner

Post by Muthur »

Sorry for the necro post BUT I believe this article belongs in this discussion (posted 3/19/14) - http://www.breachbangclear.com/site/10- ... ining.html

Some actual training:
phpBB [video]
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in
New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.

OP: Bad Blood 2011/2012/2013/2014/2015
OP: Fallout 2011/2012/2014/2015
OP: Tantalum Contract 2012
OP: Early Dawn 2012 | OP: Second Dawn 2013
T4T:NY 2011 | T4T:NJ 2012
CQB: Point Blank 2011 | CQB: Washi Flood Relief Game 2011
Evike Pistol ShootOut 2011 | Steel Challenge 2011 | LeukeM.I.A. 2011
Miami Vice of the Dead 2012

phridum
Site Admin

Post by phridum »

We prefer necroposting to millions of the same threads.

The Breach Bang Clear article is great and informative for MIL/LE looking to augment their training. Airsoft as a tool is great for those requiring honed matial skills and builds on muscle memory if applied properly. It doesn't replace any of the more commonly accepted training tools and methods already in use.

This article targets the gun culture and less elite departments or units. The real Operator As Fuck shooters in the military and police departments have already been applying Airsoft as a supplemental tool.

However, the fact still stands, and the article does not refute or discuss, that real world tactics are not effective in the game or sport of Airsoft. It states Airsoft is a good tool for realistic training, not that realistic training improves your Airsoft game in ways many assume it does.

My apologies for my phone auto correcting Airsoft to a capital A. Not important enough to try and edit that...