How can I make a temporary sniper's hide?

All topics for airsoft snipers: Bolt action, AEGs and gas rifles, ghillie suits, etc.

Moderators: JuiceWizard, phridum, Russian

Argon
First Name: Justin
Last Name: Woods

How can I make a temporary sniper's hide?

Post by Argon »

I play mostly in my backyard, because my local field closed, and I need ideas on how to make temporary sniper hides, because when I hit someone once, they know where to look next time. I also can't find good netting to make a military style gillie suit, does anybody know where to find some?
Note to any Taliban personnel: ALL SUICIDE VESTS MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

OP Bad Blood
Blue Bloods 2014 OD Mercs 2015
OP Fallout 6
Hudson Union

DRK
First Name: Derek
Last Name: pom

Re: How can I make a temporary sniper's hide?

Post by DRK »

take leaves or debris not near from where you are about to shoot from. try to lay them all over you. then setup to take your shot, but in airsoft. standing still too long means being shot.
For Russia

OP: Northern Light 1,2,4
OP: Lightning Strike 1-4
OP: Bulldog 7
OP: Lion Claw XI
OP: Shahrazad 1,3
OP: Red Storm East 1,2,4,5
OP: Red Storm West 2014
OP: Swift Justice
OP: X 1,2
The Milwaukee Project
The Ohio Project

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

Alpine wrote:I play mostly in my backyard, because my local field closed, and I need ideas on how to make temporary sniper hides, because when I hit someone once, they know where to look next time. I also can't find good netting to make a military style gillie suit, does anybody know where to find some?
If you want to make a military ghillie suit, simply buy an OD or woodland camo poncho or jacket. Buy some used brown and green towels and cut them into 2" strips of various lengths. The military uses burlap but used towels work just as well for airsoft use.

Buy a hot glue gun. Then glue one end of the strip to your jacket. Let the rest drape down. There's a little art involved with the process.

If you want to go super temporary, do what the NVA did and break off 3'-4' length branches with leaves on them. Then tie a tip of a branch onto a strap or your vest. Then wrap the branch around you and tuck the other end into another strap on your other side. Repeat as needed.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Argon

Post by Argon »

I'll try to make that ghillie suit and post a picture here of the finished product. thanks for the tip
Note to any Taliban personnel: ALL SUICIDE VESTS MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

OP Bad Blood
OP Fallout 6
Hudson Union

willus

Post by willus »

do a search on Cobra Ghillie or Cobra Hood sniper. It's a more compact option than say a full ghillie suit.

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Post by phridum »

Make a ghillie blanket. For the high end, get spider mesh, for budget, get some old stained and nasty sheet. The lighter and thinner the better. Dye it in a bucket with RIT (a brand) from the grocery store. The spyder mesh is easy to pass paracord through to make a grid across it (8-10in each), for the sheet, cut slits (these will tear and get bigger over time). At the edges, you tie the paracord onto itself.

Now you have a big ass ghillie blanket base. You will cut up natural colored old t-shirts and towel to tie onto the grid (one side, both sides, whatever. Probably start with one side. You can only use one at a time anyway.) You can also take 10-12in pieces of 550 cord to tie on sporadically in the grid.

Now you are done. Go throw it in a lake, drag it though the mud, and drag it behind a car. The rinse it off with a hose. This makes it look like the world instead of a man made object.

Transport it to the game, and in the field, in a drawstring sports bag for quick access (and quick putting away - that's the critical bit).

IMPORTANT: This is just a base. It doesn't make you invisible like this.

On game day, you grab a bunch of naturally growing stuff and tie it on. Not like crazy. It still has to fit back into the bag when you switch positions. It will also start to look dead and whithered after a few house and would need to be refreshed. For airsoft, this probably doesn't matter, but in the real world, you'd stick out, and someone would call in an airstrike just in case.

When you find a good spot looking over your ambush site lay out the blanket. Kick some local dirt and veg over it and crawl under from the back. Try pointing a corner toward your ambush site so the end can drape over the rifle barrel and scope as you are sighting.

IMPORTANT: Fucking hold still. The enemies eye is drawn to movement more than ANYTHING else. In fact, if you can hold still well enough, you should just skip all this an lay down patiently to wait for the shot to come into range. No amount of gear or camo will make up for poor technique.

After you've make your shot, wait for the area to clear out. Stuff you blanket into the bag BEFORE you stand up. If someone was sneakier than you and is waiting, you'll be able to run when the shooting starts. If you got away clean, setup your next spot so it can engage you last ambush spot AND the place you shot them from. Now you can get them again when they come hunting.

EvilAndyXO
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Hansen

Post by EvilAndyXO »

I am a little bit of a Russian militaria collector... Being in love with the SVD sniping has been a love of mine. I've also got a reputation as being a sneaky bastard and my mythical ability to just disappeare is how I got my callsign, because its almost like black magic.

Of course there is no magic to it atall. All my blend into the background ability comes from this piece of kit http://www.soviet-propaganda.com/index. ... ucts_id=18 It is difficult to tell from the picture but this oversuit is reversible with a green pattern outside and an inverse brown inside. Its baggy and without tact gear it looks like a camo clown suit. But, good god if you aren't invisible while you're wearing it. I've had conversation with people 10yards away who just couldn't see me. Its changed how I skirmish, a lot of times I'll just lay down and wait for an enemy to walk right up to me, scare the piss out of em with a close range pistol kill. It worked so well I had to buy another and its amazing seeing it in action with my team mates something about it just you can't focus on it.

Building a hide is impractical with the range which airsoft restricts us too. Being sneaky and good camo are the only real options.

Keeper
First Name: Donald
Last Name: Swelgin

Post by Keeper »

I have had some luck with my Plash Palatka in the wooded area we play in and also at some fields in the PA area. Great for cold or wet weather too!

Just another option if you are looking.
"Might be old...Might be Slow, but I am like a Dog with a Bone. I never give it up."
THE PATRIOTS
The Arsenal: http://patriots.nepa-airsoft.com/Keeper ... s-2016.htm

DRK
First Name: Derek
Last Name: pom

Post by DRK »

I fully hear you on that Andy, here in the New England area. KLMK pattern is the same, I've neem stepped on by an enemy player just to have to safety kill them.

What great about many of those early Russian patterns is the price point. If you tear it, it's not expensive to replace. You'll have extra fabric to repair to conceal your gear or rifle.
For Russia

OP: Northern Light 1,2,4
OP: Lightning Strike 1-4
OP: Bulldog 7
OP: Lion Claw XI
OP: Shahrazad 1,3
OP: Red Storm East 1,2,4,5
OP: Red Storm West 2014
OP: Swift Justice
OP: X 1,2
The Milwaukee Project
The Ohio Project

Argon

Post by Argon »

I found this video recently: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzRSDvEn3ms

I think I'm going to try this one, and adapt it to make it more like a cobra ghillie.

OP Bad Blood
OP Fallout 6
Hudson Union