What should the first mod be?

All topics for airsoft snipers: Bolt action, AEGs and gas rifles, ghillie suits, etc.

Moderators: JuiceWizard, phridum, Russian

Ghost1
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Malave

What should the first mod be?

Post by Ghost1 »

Hey, Snipers:

I just purchased the FN Herstal SPR A5M rifle and I could not be happier with the product out of the box. It seemily shoots at a very high FPS (if I had to "guesstimate i'd say in the 470+ range - even though the box advertises for 515; I was using .20's) In your personal opinions - what should the first mod be that I do to upgrade this puppy?

To my understanding; the majority of VSR-10 mods do comply with this platform - and this gun is huge in Sweden. I was thinking of going with a 6.01 Precision Barrel as i'd weigh Accuracy as more important than range...then again I might upgrade the spring at the same time; because, the advantage we have over AEG's is having a small kill-pocket depth deeper than them. Sound off and tell me what your beliefs are. And if you can name some brands and sizes, let me know!

Keeper
First Name: Donald
Last Name: Swelgin

Re: What should the first mod be?

Post by Keeper »

Barrel is always a good start & a bucking as well. I always change out the bucking as you never know how long something has been sitting on the shelf waiting for someone to buy it. Check for Barrel spacers as well and see how many are in it. Always a good option too.

If you change the spring, be sure to do the all sears as well as the heavy spring might wear the stock parts down quicker.
"Might be old...Might be Slow, but I am like a Dog with a Bone. I never give it up."
THE PATRIOTS
The Arsenal: http://patriots.nepa-airsoft.com/Keeper ... s-2016.htm

Ghost1

Post by Ghost1 »

Would you suggest to remove the spacers or "replace"?

Keeper
First Name: Donald
Last Name: Swelgin

Post by Keeper »

Ghost1 wrote:Would you suggest to remove the spacers or "replace"?
If it has good ones in it already, let it go. If not, throw them in....so "Add" might be a better response.
"Might be old...Might be Slow, but I am like a Dog with a Bone. I never give it up."
THE PATRIOTS
The Arsenal: http://patriots.nepa-airsoft.com/Keeper ... s-2016.htm

MudOnYourFace
First Name: Oscar
Last Name: Alvarez

Post by MudOnYourFace »

Consider the Miracle barrel. I haven't used it personally but I've seen it give great range and consistency/accuracy. You might be fine with just that and a new bucking, no spring upgrades strictly necessary. Use at least .30s, if not heavier.

Ghost1

Post by Ghost1 »

I was considering going to 0.30's (I'm currently running 0.25's). I have a nice set-up in my backyard which is a blast to practice with and fairly accurate at 160 feet. I definitely notice a slight rise in the shot a couple fo feet before hitting mark that I want to compensate for. I could not give better reviews for my FN Herstal SPR A5M rifle.

Since this is a new piece for me i'm not even shooting with a scope as of yet (obviously that's going to be my FIRST purchase - I just have to get through my wedding on September 18th ;) )

I'll have to put up a picture of my practice target. I have 2 targets up in my backyard: One is a simple "zombie" target on a black plastic garbage can that I use for yard work. I have a large bush ~25 yards out that I have it peeking around. The other is a foam head that my wife and I bought from Hobby Lobby that I attached to the end of an old broom handle and stuck it 160 feet out along my fence line. I shoot on one knee, prone, and off of my back patio.