What Sniper Rifle Should I Buy?

All topics for airsoft snipers: Bolt action, AEGs and gas rifles, ghillie suits, etc.

Moderators: JuiceWizard, phridum, Russian

Tsuyoi
First Name: Tianwei
Last Name: Xiong

Re: What Sniper Rifle Should I Buy?

Post by Tsuyoi »

So how is a UTG MK96 with the following upgrade kit:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=152

I've heard complaints though that the APS-2 mag system for spring bolt sniper system is glitchy, and the mag will often call out or not feed properly? Do any of you have a 96/APS2 springer that can comment on this?
Callsign: Tsuyoi

Loadout:
KWA KM4 RIS with Madbull QD Mock Silencer + Barska Scope
KWA M9
A whole lot of guts

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Post by phridum »

I got into airsoft because I lusted for an Accuracy International AW .338LM, but couldn't afford the $10k for it (or the $2 a round to use it) and searched for a replica. I paid $80 for a Well Warrior I which isn't all that different from what you've found. Paying that much for upgrades is silly. If it was an AEG and I felt I really needed the performance, sure, but sniper rifles, especially spring, are very very basic and easy to learn with.

If I were going to do it again, for airsoft purposes rather than fanboy ones, I'd have got this one, http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=2493

I had a hell of a time finding the right scope and rings that worked with the rail and rifle. One advantage the L96 style have over the others is the huge bolt knob. Makes it significantly easier to cycle. Otherwise, lighter is better, and as far as bolt gun stock designs go, I don't recommend a thumbhole/Anshutz/pistol grip. Precious nanoseconds are wasted pulling your palm away from the gun so your thumb can clear the receiver rather than slipping your hand straight up to unlock the bolt.

Just my two cents. Most importantly, what do you think is sexy? Get that, because that's what airsoft is all about.

http://airsoftcommando.wordpress.com/20 ... -throwing/

Tsuyoi

Post by Tsuyoi »

If you don't remember, I'm a lefty, so I wont have that problem with a thumbhole type grip =D

Loadout:
KWA M9
A whole lot of guts

phridum
Site Admin

Post by phridum »

Excellent point. I had not thought of that. In fact, it's probably better. Go ahead get the one you listed and wait on the upgrades. Just get a spare mag and reliable pistol to back yourself up. People don't like getting hit in close with sniper rifles.

Tsuyoi

Post by Tsuyoi »

So did some research, and I'm more confused than ever.

Which rifles are APS2, and which are VSR-10?

From what I can gather, all the L96s are APS2, while BAR 10 are VSR-10? What category would M24s be in?

Loadout:
KWA M9
A whole lot of guts

phridum
Site Admin

Post by phridum »

The US Army issued M24 is based on the Remington 700 long action, so your best bet is the TM VSR-10 or clone if you want to emulate that.

Edit:
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=37280

This is an accurate representation of the M24. The quality is probably a little lacking, but it'll be good to get you started as you upgrade. So far as I can tell, there are two types of internals that parts can be for. APS2 (Maruzen design) or VSR-10 (Tokyo Marui design). These are the two quality designs that have withstood the test of time. It seems as if TM is more widely used (cheaper parts) but the Maruzen is just as good, if not better option.

Erebus
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Hemphill

Post by Erebus »

Tsuyoi wrote:Thanks for the tip phridum!

Ok, so I was looking around for some good bolt actions, and came across these:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=5962
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=32217

Now my question is, are these the same gun?! If so, I'm amazed GI is charging $140 more for it...
Just looking at the links doesn't show me if they are the exact same model though, or if the GI one is an upgraded version or what...

But definitely considering picking one up before bad blood if budget allows =D
Having had the Tanaka version of this I can say I enjoyed it a great deal, though be aware that it is substantially louder when firing than a springer. I'm actually going to go against the flow and say you shouldn't rule this out. For me I appreciated the faster cycle time of the gas bolt as opposed to a spring one, and there are ways to mitigate the temperature effects, not all of which need be expensive (though note the most effective way is to convert it over to a HPA Or other external source). If you would like to check out my M700 to see whether to style fits you I will send an instant message related to this.
Signature and personality being remodeled

Keeper
First Name: Donald
Last Name: Swelgin

Post by Keeper »

Rifle: S&T SVD AEG with five 60rd mags. Some Geabox work such as Shimming and new spring. Other externals such as a decent scope.
I once played a Event and only used 1 1/2 mags in the whole game.

Camo: Plash Palatka
Sometimes it is excellent for bad weather and just breaking up your outline. Otherwise, depending on the terrain, I just go with suitable camo.

Ghost1
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Malave

Post by Ghost1 »

Check out the FN Herstal SPR A5M - I can not praise this gun enough. Economically Savvy, Metal Barrel, Hard ABS stock which still feels amazing in your hands, Light weight, and shoots amazingly well. Everything that I looked up is telling me that most VSR-10 componenents fit this product; and it is very ambidexterous.