Modding an AEG to DMR\Sniper Rifle

All topics for airsoft snipers: Bolt action, AEGs and gas rifles, ghillie suits, etc.

Moderators: JuiceWizard, phridum, Russian

Pryme7
First Name: Jonathan
Last Name: Reynolds

Modding an AEG to DMR\Sniper Rifle

Post by Pryme7 »

After reading Moondog's review of the Burst Avacado and wondering what to do with this Echo 1 ASC\SCAR I received in a trade, I've decided I want to turn it into a DMR\Sniper rifle. So that being said I was curious as to what the required upgrades would be to make that happen. I figure I'd like to get the FPS to 450+ and get it to comparable ranges. Is this a viable upgrade or totally unrealistic? I'm relatively new to airsoft so upgrades are new to me. I have a separate CQB load out so this DMR swap would be a secondary rifle for field and what not.

To my understanding, it seems 6.01 tightbore barrel (I'm thinking Madbull or Airsoft GI) is the first step. Length though is something I have no clue about. I intend to add a Madbull barrel extension to keep the barrel from being too long, I'm not really into that hyper long barrel look but my first priority is range and accuracy.

In addition to that I'm curious what internals would need upgrading to keep the AEG running solid. New bucking? Hop up? Gears? Bushings? Spring? While I'm not looking to dump a ton into the upgrade, I don't mind spending what I need to make it nice.

I'm thinking .4-.45 gm BB's are ideal?

Finally any advice for sites would be appreciated. My initial thought is 3x scope, but since it's an AEG wasn't sure if a red dot plus removable magnifier would be better.

Thanks for the input guys. I know it's a lot. Just want to make informed decisions.
“I worshipped dead men for their strength, Forgetting I was strong.”
- Vita Sackville-West

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Modding an AEG to DMR\Sniper Rifle

Post by Moondog »

Just so you know, because an airsoft rifle is limited to 500fps, it will never have the double the range of an an airsoft assault rifle (unless everybody else is using 250fps guns).

If you're goal is to simply get your SCAR to fire at 450fps, then yes, you should start with adding a longer, 6.01mm or 6.02mm barrel. Then you should look into sealing up your hop-up unit from any air leaks. You could upgrade your spring and motor and it could get to 500fps without having to change anything else.

It's hard to advise you on other upgrades until you let us know that FPS it's currently firing at and what your goal is?
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Pryme7

Post by Pryme7 »

Moondog wrote:Just so you know, because an airsoft rifle is limited to 500fps, it will never have the double the range of an an airsoft assault rifle (unless everybody else is using 250fps guns).

If you're goal is to simply get your SCAR to fire at 450fps, then yes, you should start with adding a longer, 6.01mm or 6.02mm barrel. Then you should look into sealing up your hop-up unit from any air leaks. You could upgrade your spring and motor and it could get to 500fps without having to change anything else.

It's hard to advise you on other upgrades until you let us know that FPS it's currently firing at and what your goal is?
I haven't even wired up a battery to the rifle yet so I'll be doing that soon. I'm going to be looking for a chrono this week so I can get an accurate FPS for you guys. My goal is to hopefully have it ready by T4T NJ.
- Vita Sackville-West

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

I can promise you that if your fps is anywhere near 500, you will not be able to use it at Stryker. You would have to make it strictly for field use.
Pryme7 wrote:
Moondog wrote:Just so you know, because an airsoft rifle is limited to 500fps, it will never have the double the range of an an airsoft assault rifle (unless everybody else is using 250fps guns).

I haven't even wired up a battery to the rifle yet so I'll be doing that soon. I'm going to be looking for a chrono this week so I can get an accurate FPS for you guys. My goal is to hopefully have it ready by T4T NJ.
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379

primer
First Name: Ted
Last Name: Colegrove

Post by primer »

Pryme7 wrote:While I'm not looking to dump a ton into the upgrade, I don't mind spending what I need to make it nice.
A good DMR setup is expensive. The upgrades alone will run you a lot.
I personally would wait a little bit until the polar star reviews get through. That setup will cost you the same amount as the upgrades you will have to do to get your DMR setup.
The fusion engine will allow you to dial up your FPS for DMR limits and then down to CQB limits.
Plus you won't have to worry about blowing out your gears due to stress on them pulling that 500FPS spring.

Then of course putting in a Tight bore and air sealed hope up.
Want to change my signature? http://www.x24d.com/sig_changer/
Moondog wrote:Yes, friendly fire still kills you. Same as real life.

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

Pryme7 wrote:...I'm going to be looking for a chrono this week so I can get an accurate FPS for you guys. My goal is to hopefully have it ready by T4T NJ.
You are aware that no weapon above 350fps will be allowed on either T4T game?
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Pryme7

Post by Pryme7 »

Moondog wrote:
Pryme7 wrote:...I'm going to be looking for a chrono this week so I can get an accurate FPS for you guys. My goal is to hopefully have it ready by T4T NJ.
You are aware that no weapon above 350fps will be allowed on either T4T game?
Yeah that was my mistake, I thought NJ was a field game. Whoops. And as for current FPS the SCAR is at 275ish. So not too fast. I'll look into the polar star. I figure there's realistically no need to upgrade until spring anyway since it'll probably be all CQB until then. Doesn't hurt to have a back up ready. I'm pretty sure I'll still put in the tightbore though.

Thanks for the input guys.
- Vita Sackville-West