Seriously concerned, please advise.

NYC and national airsoft laws and legal issues
AgrippaMaxentius
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Ashley

Seriously concerned, please advise.

Post by AgrippaMaxentius »

So I live in Queens NY, I really didn't do much research into NY laws as I used to play paintball and never had an issues with that. That being said I got my first airsoft M1 replica on Ebay, and got it delivered. Only THEN did I realize the issues regarding airsoft in NY, on top of these bad news the airsoft toy I purchased was defective, the "firing pin?" that is supposed to push the pellets out is basically stuck halfway, so it doesn't retract all the way and consequently the only way I can even fire it is by loading the gun like a muzzle loader, in this case it fires. It will dry fire just fine. So my questions are as follows...

1. I plan to return the airsoft toy and get a refund, primarily because the of the malfunction/defectiveness, could the post office "USPS" confiscate my package and have me charged under this law!?

2. Exactly how serious would the penalties be? Will the NYPD be busting down my door or confiscating the gun at the post office and charging me?

3. Does the problem I have explained sound like something an amateur like myself might be able to fix by myself so that I don't have to return it?

And finally, does this end my Airsoft dreams entirely? Do I actually have to get out of New York City just to be able to enjoy airsoft IE: move?

Really would appreciate any feedback, this is definitely concerning me. I have no criminal record, never so much as smoked a joint, I am of age and not looking to suddenly wind up trying to keep away from "Big Bubba" in the tombs.

Best, Agrippa Maxentius

MudOnYourFace
First Name: Oscar
Last Name: Alvarez

Re: Seriously concerned, please advise.

Post by MudOnYourFace »

1. Chill dude.

2. Seriously, chill out.

3. I'm not even sure what the problem you're describing is. Maybe it's your hop-up? Maybe it's your magazine? In any case, unless you're generally experienced with tinkering, you're probably not going to be able to fix your first airsoft gun.

No one is busting down your door. USPS will not confiscate your airsoft replica. Make sure you ship it in a plain box with plenty of cushioning (packing peanuts, paper, etc) so it doesn't rattle around.

Everyone on this board who lives in NYC (that's most of us) has had airsoft guns and tactical gear shipped to us over the years. Many of us have shipped these things ourselves. No one has gotten in trouble for it. Something shipped from outside of the country might not make it through customs for one reason or another, but USPS doesn't enforce local law. You will be fine.

Just don't go carrying your airsoft gun out in public. Transport it like you would a paintball marker, unloaded and concealed in a bag, box, or hard case.

Vimo
First Name: Phil
Last Name: Taranto

Re: Seriously concerned, please advise.

Post by Vimo »

True, airsoft is a gray area in NYC, however there are simple rules to follow and I don't think you'll be bothered. Always keep your gun in a box or case. If you plan to return it, just make sure its in the box it came in. I can assure you, with the amount of airsofters in NYC, this is surely not the first time they have seen an airsoft gun. Make sure everything is closed up and taped... maybe even wrap it in brown paper and return it like you would a normal package. Truth is, if you follow the rules outlined in this forum, there is no reason anyone should harass you about an airsoft gun.