How high is Too high for FPS?

Submit an event or ideas for scenarios or missions
Keeper
First Name: Donald
Last Name: Swelgin

How high is Too high for FPS?

Post by Keeper »

I have seen fields with what I consider the standard of 400 FPS w/.25s and 500 FPS w/.25s for Bolt Action/Semi-only Sniper Rifles. I think this is the norm in my opinion. I have even been on an outdoor field with 400 w/.20s as the limit as well. One field i just went to was different.

They had a 450 w/.25s for all Weapons and 600 w/.25s for Sniper Rilfes. And yes, they stressed increased Engagement distances, but my question is - At what FPS does it stop being SAFE to play?

I enjoy this sport and I applaud someone that can get their rifle shooting 450 FPS or a Bolt Action that can top the charts at 600 FPS. But is it safe to use? At what point do we start to say, 'That is dangerous" or 'Someone could get hurt'?

Just curious to hear other people's opinion out there.
"Might be old...Might be Slow, but I am like a Dog with a Bone. I never give it up."
THE PATRIOTS
The Arsenal: http://patriots.nepa-airsoft.com/Keeper ... s-2016.htm

Alchy-ops
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Tochterman

Re: How high is Too high for FPS?

Post by Alchy-ops »

I think that all depends on the protection the players are wearing. If your wearing full body protection then fps really doesn't matter, if your wearing shorts, t-shirt and just eye pros then anything over 350 is too much. You also have to take into account the joules players are shooting at as that is what transfers the energy.
Ricochet Tactical Airsoft Retailer Facebook
Shrike Tactical Response Airsoft Team Facebook

OP: Bad Blood 2013 - The Black Shirts
OP: Tantalum Contract 2013 - Angle Sino Security
OP: Fallout 2013 - THE HUDSON UNION
OP: Crimson Skies 2014 - Army
OP: Tommy Gun 2014 - Imperial Guard Invite Only Team
OP: Bad Blood 2014 - Green Army Commanding Officer
OP: Fallout East 2014 - The Wastelanders
OP: Cyrpt 2014 - FREEDOM FIGHTERS

Keeper
First Name: Donald
Last Name: Swelgin

Post by Keeper »

Funny thing is a BB always seems to find that one spot not covered by clothing, gloves, a mask, your hat or some other piece and nails you. I guess Murphy's Law applies.
"Might be old...Might be Slow, but I am like a Dog with a Bone. I never give it up."
THE PATRIOTS
The Arsenal: http://patriots.nepa-airsoft.com/Keeper ... s-2016.htm

Lifer0369
First Name: Vince
Last Name: Gizzarelli

Post by Lifer0369 »

I manage the local field that we play at here in Jacksonville NC. We run a 375 fps with no med, 376-450 you have a 50ft med, 451-600 is a 100ft med and anything over 600 fps is not allowed at all. We also watch the joules. It has worked very well and I have been there running this for going on 5 tears now. Our fps rules closely mirror that of the majority of the field here in North Carolina.