Advice on problems, repair, upgrades and modification

Moderators: JuiceWizard, redbull

MrSpank
Site Admin
First Name: Roman
Last Name: Kamensky

PTT malfunction

Post by MrSpank »

I did not start this thread in a subforum because this is not specifically airsoft weapon related.

My PTT is not working. I have tested my actual headset in a different PTT and confirmed that the headset works fine.

I disassembled the housing of the PTT and confirmed that all of the contacts are connected. Everything in there is soldered into place. No tears in the wires.

When I press the button on the PTT unit, my radio indicates that it is transmitting. But when I speak nothing is heard. I do not hear anything in my earpiece when others transmit.

If the defect is not in the PTT unit, my next theory is that the problem is in the headset port.
This is a Wouxon radio, so I uses a Kenwood 2-pin system, I believe.

Advice and others theories are welcome.

willus

Re: PTT malfunction

Post by willus »

sounds like it might be the port. Remind me of when I lose sound when i had walkman/or disc players and i need to jiggle the headset plug in the jack to get it working.

is there a way to see the jack connections to the board? or inside the jack? maybe just replace the jack?

Mark Twain
Site Admin
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Tevis

Post by Mark Twain »

Both the Wouxon and Baofeng are notorious for female/male jack fit problems with the variety ( and quality ) of all of the various headset / ptt combinations out there.

I know you have but I'll ask anyway - have you tried pushing hard on the plug from the ptt into the radio or slightly rocking to see if contact is intermittent ?

We solved that issue on my son's Baofeng by zip tying the plug tightly to the radio body and have had no issues since. I also trimmed away a bit of the plastic on the plug so it fit better in the jack area.

Like you I run a Wouxon and initially had some intermittent fit issues. However after going to TCI headset / ptt there have been no issues but these units are mil/spec. My radio also is very tight in the pouch which helps insure contact.
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it's lightning that does the work"

Mark Twain 1835-1910

Call Sign: Mark Twain

MrSpank
Site Admin

Post by MrSpank »

Initially I had no problems. I've been using this unit maybe two years.
It was at Bad Blood that I discovered that suddenly I'm not sending audio nor receiving it.

I've tried forcing it, and rocking it. The thing is, I don't have anyone broadcasting to monitor for sound. I turn the radio on and off. The Wouxon has that audio announcement when it turns on. That is the only way I can check at home to see if sound is coming. Which gives me a very brief window to jiggle anything.

Mark Twain
Site Admin

Post by Mark Twain »

Sent you a pm

Mark Twain 1835-1910

MrSpank
Site Admin

Post by MrSpank »

Got your PM. But that won't be necessary.

After some extensive manipulations, I did manage to get my audio back.
However, the conclusion I came to is that it is where the wire meets the plug that is the source of my problems.

The actual plug sits in the socket very tight. I could not tell any wiggle room there. And all the force I could apply didn't make a difference.
But when I would lean the wire into various directions I would gain and loose my audio.

What do I do now? Find the sweet spot and build a brace?

Mark Twain
Site Admin

Post by Mark Twain »

It sounds as if there is an intermittent connection within the wire/plug junction. That leaves you with two options IMO:

1 - find a replacement plug , cut your current connector off, trim back the wire a bit, and re-solder a new connector on.

2 - A new PTT

Bracing the old wire will only provide you with frustration as it will move

:(

Mark Twain 1835-1910

MrSpank
Site Admin

Post by MrSpank »

I did bring home my soldering kit tonight! But I'm terrible at it.
But I'd have to cut apart the hard rubber that the pins are in, right? I think that will just end up with one totally destroyed plug in my hands.

Mark Twain
Site Admin

Post by Mark Twain »

MrSpank wrote:I did bring home my soldering kit tonight! But I'm terrible at it.
But I'd have to cut apart the hard rubber that the pins are in, right? I think that will just end up with one totally destroyed plug in my hands.

Taking apart the old plug won't work. You'll need to obtain a replacement plug; cut off the existing plug, and replace.

If I get some time I'll look around to see if such a replacement connector actually exists.

Mark Twain 1835-1910

MrSpank
Site Admin

Post by MrSpank »

Yes, that makes more sense.
:lol: