Radios, headsets, NVG, etc.

Moderators: primer, Shogun Mitsu

Rosales
Site Admin
First Name: Japheth
Last Name: Rosales

Baofeng UV-5R

Post by Rosales »

What do you guys think about this one? http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-136 ... B007H4VT7A
Would it be a good low budget upgrade from an FRS radio? And would it be usable without licensing?
Do not meddle in the affairs of a dragon. For you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Fallout: Buran veteran
T4T 2012, 2013, 2014
OP: Seabird
Bad Blood 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 veteran

Mark Twain
Site Admin
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Tevis

Re: Baofeng UV-5R

Post by Mark Twain »

Rosales wrote:What do you guys think about this one? http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-136 ... B007H4VT7A
Would it be a good low budget upgrade from an FRS radio? And would it be usable without licensing?
You would need the programming cable and driver CD as well - $10 or you will hate it.

Frs does not require a license but grms does. Officially. This is even true for the talk about type radios if you plan to use the grms portion. Frs grms operate in the 462.xxx Mhz range.

If they have 95c compliance they would only be able to rx (receive) and not tx (transmit) on the Frs grms frequencies. This unit is not 95c compliant.

Pm me when you get a chance.
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it's lightning that does the work"

Mark Twain 1835-1910

Call Sign: Mark Twain

AussieMikey
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Hou

Post by AussieMikey »

I just received my BaoFeng today, pretty new to this. I see what you are saying that I can receive, but how do I set to so it can broadcast?
My current setting on Midland GXT1000VP4 is using channel 7 and Privacy 1.
On the BaoFeng UV-5R is on 462.725 (Midland Manual says 462.7125 but can receive find on 462.725).

Mark Twain
Site Admin
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Tevis

Post by Mark Twain »

AussieMikey wrote:I just received my BaoFeng today, pretty new to this. I see what you are saying that I can receive, but how do I set to so it can broadcast?
My current setting on Midland GXT1000VP4 is using channel 7 and Privacy 1.
On the BaoFeng UV-5R is on 462.725 (Midland Manual says 462.7125 but can receive find on 462.725).
The channels must match on receiving and transmitting units. If you have your Baofeng on channel 7 and the Midland on 7 privacy ! the Baofeng will be able to hear the Midland but not transmit. They must match to talk.

Here's a doc that might help.................
Motorola freqs and sub freqsv2.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it's lightning that does the work"

Mark Twain 1835-1910

Call Sign: Mark Twain