Interesting Forgrip Story and a Question About Forgrips

Scopes, Red Dots, Taclights, Stocks, Claymores and anything else
Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Interesting Forgrip Story and a Question About Forgrips

Post by Moondog »

I'm in Phridum's camp as far as preferring a classic 'bladed' stance. I think Magpull's extended arm stance may be a bit more 'instinctual' for beginner shooters like point shooting. But I do not find extending my weak arm comfortable nor less fatiguing than tucking my elbows into my chest. But that's another discussion.

I thought Magpull's last sentence in reference to sword grips a little bit off, at least from my experience in sport fencing (which is by no means comprehensive). Epee's have more point control than a rapier because Epee's are shorter and lighter. And a modern 'anatomical' grip does not give the fencer speed per se, it gives him leverage (due to the shape fitting into the spaces of a closed fist).

But I can kind of buy the overall statement. The grip design of both rapiers and classical epees are essentially the same but how you held them was quite different. A rapier was held like a VFG, more vertically with the elbow bent (to slash and thrust) whilst epees were held more like the AFG, arm extended. This was because an epee was shorter than a rapier, it required the fencer to fight from an extended arm stance to keep a rapier armed opponent at bay.

Rapier Grip ("Italian style")

Sport Epee grip ("French style")

Modern anatomical grip designed to clamp into a closed fist:
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

Novice wrote:I'll probably end up with an AFG a vertical forgrip on my rifle just doesn't feel comfortable no matter where I put it. I have very little experience in swordsmanship (more practice with Western styles than Eastern) but even so the AFG just seems more comfortable.

@Mitsukai

You might be interested in meeting my cousin he's been practicing Iaido for a few years now. I find it a bit interesting that he's Russian living in Germany learning Iaido, but one might find my forgrip story interesting too. Maybe I'll bring him to a skirmish with me when he visits.
Iaido is practiced all across the globe, there are different styles (sword schools). I practice Muso Shinden Ryu. Bring him if you can, I'm always happy to meet another swordsman.
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

Moondog wrote:I'm in Phridum's camp as far as preferring a classic 'bladed' stance. I think Magpull's extended arm stance may be a bit more 'instinctual' for beginner shooters like point shooting. But I do not find extending my weak arm comfortable nor less fatiguing than tucking my elbows into my chest. But that's another discussion.

I thought Magpull's last sentence in reference to sword grips a little bit off, at least from my experience in sport fencing (which is by no means comprehensive). Epee's have more point control than a rapier because Epee's are shorter and lighter. And a modern 'anatomical' grip does not give the fencer speed per se, it gives him leverage (due to the shape fitting into the spaces of a closed fist).

But I can kind of buy the overall statement. The grip design of both rapiers and classical epees are essentially the same but how you held them was quite different. A rapier was held like a VFG, more vertically with the elbow bent (to slash and thrust) whilst epees were held more like the AFG, arm extended. This was because an epee was shorter than a rapier, it required the fencer to fight from an extended arm stance to keep a rapier armed opponent at bay.

Rapier Grip ("Italian style")

Sport Epee grip ("French style")

Modern anatomical grip designed to clamp into a closed fist:
Shall we have a go Moondog? Lol :lol:
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

Moved topic to Accessories Forum
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Headkill
Site Admin

Post by Headkill »

A few notes here - Those that prefer a bladed stance, that's fine in airsoft. However, many people moved away from that because of one thing. Body armor. Look at a plate carrier - you have a front plate and back plate. What about the sides? Soft plates, less coverage. When you shoot bladed, you turn your body so basically it's your side facing forward. Previously, most body armor did not include side plates, so more people were getting killed/injured due to bullets entering the unprotected areas.

I shoot in a more squared-off position, from my own civilian-based training, practice, and experience. While it can be fatiguing to hold your rifle straight out like that, with some practice you do get used to it.

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Post by phridum »

I have to update.

Over the last few months I have sought instruction on rapid multiple target engagement techniques and managing the recoil. I have always run my foregrip further toward the muzzle, but have given the Thumb Break Grip the old college try. While I disagree with the ergonomics and sword fighting arguments entirely, locking out the elbow and gripping the barrel rather than underneath it does give incredibly more control over the weapon system.

I still have not used the AFG (but am still interested in mounting one to my 10/22, my favorite gun). I have previously mounted a pistol tac-light in front of my foregrip for snap shooting at close range (much better and faster than a laser and not sure why it's not taught more). I haven't yet found a reliable way to mount it so I can operate it the same in switch stance, but I'm experimenting.

So, to sum up, I converted. AFG eats up a lot of rail space, but the theory is sound. It's much faster and more controllable.