Question: "Real Steel" optics vs. Airsoft optics

Scopes, Red Dots, Taclights, Stocks, Claymores and anything else
Novice
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Nehring

Question: "Real Steel" optics vs. Airsoft optics

Post by Novice »

I've noticed some people prefer to use "Real Steel" scopes/sights on their guns. My questions are:

Does the benefit outway the price?

For example EO-Tech Holographic sights can be more expensive than a high end KWA rifle (IMO KWA has high end and mid end rifles, but that's irrelevant).

Are "Real Steel" sights and scopes that superior to airsoft imitations?

An $ 80.00 airsoft red dot versus a civilian grade real steel one for use in a skirmish. Aside from the battery life (I would assume civilian grade would have longer battery life) how is the the real steel one superior?

If you do use a "Real Steel" scopes/sights why do you use them instead of airsoft equivalents?

Is it for the sake of realism? for superior quality? for buying expensive equipment? for the look?

. . . I guess this question can be applied to all accessories
Last edited by Novice on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Callsign / Nickname : Misha / Миша

Headkill
Site Admin

Re: Question: "Real Steel" Scopes vs. Airsoft Scopes

Post by Headkill »

Real Steel scopes are generally of higher quality and can withstand recoil. They also have more diverse options than most cheap replicas.

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Question: "Real Steel" Scopes vs. Airsoft Scopes

Post by Moondog »

Novice wrote:I've noticed some people prefer to use "Real Steel" scopes/sights on their guns. My questions are:

Does the benefit outway the price?

For example EO-Tech Holographic sights can be more expensive than a high end KWA rifle (IMO KWA has high end and mid end rifles, but that's irrelevant).

Are "Real Steel" sights and scopes that superior to airsoft imitations?

An $ 80.00 airsoft red dot versus a civilian grade real steel one for use in a skirmish. Aside from the battery life (I would assume civilian grade would have longer battery life) how is the the real steel one superior?

If you do use a "Real Steel" scopes/sights why do you use them instead of airsoft equivalents?

Is it for the sake of realism? for superior quality? for buying expensive equipment? for the look?

. . . I guess this question can be applied to all accessories

Red dots are not scopes. Scopes are 'telescopes' with a targeting reticule or offer magnification for a red dot. I edited your title and move this thread to the ACCESSORIES subforum.

Most airsoft players don't use real steel 'scopes' because they are more expensive and they don't need the clarify or higher magnifications that real steel scopes offer. Nor do they need the rebust anti shock internals (as Headkill just mentioned) that real steel scopes require to deal with repeated real steel recoil. The same goes for red dots.

Real red dots generally are more ruggedly built, have anti-shock internals to keep the dot position from wandering or shaking out of position. Also, their dots/reticles are generally sharper in detail than the projected dots of airsoft replicas. But for airsoft use, these benefits are not really needed.

The only reason you want real steel is because:
A. You want to show off that you have 'real' gear
or
B. You already own one for your real steel gun so you use that
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Novice

Re: Question: "Real Steel" red dots vs. Airsoft replicas

Post by Novice »

Moondog I used the EOtech as an example. I've seen hunting scopes used on sniper rifles as well. I don't actually know what the designation of a red dot is so I wrote sights. Scopes/Sights was meant to be Scopes and Sights meaning both traditional rifle scopes and acog scopes and red dot. Sorry I didn't make it clearer.

EDIT: Thanks for the info! I was curious as to whether it was actually worth getting one and now I realize for me it's unnecessary.

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

In that case, please re-edit your title and change it back or you could use the term "optics" as that could apply to both red dots and scopes.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Post by phridum »

It's safe enough to say that there are plenty of civilian grade optics that are worse quality than the high end clone optics. Burris and Leapers have optics on the shelves in many sporting good and hunting stores and they aren't known for being reliable or even "good". While many get away with using them on their firearms, this is largely because their skill and need level match the equipment.

Keep in mind that airsoft optics tend to shatter when hit with BBs, so some protect them with shields and whatnot. However, EOTECH, Aimpoint, and Trijicon are not only rated for combat use (and thus can withstand a measly plastic BB as well as IEDs and secondary fragmentation), they are highly warrantied against damage for life and are usually replaced due to any damage. That is the benefit of high end tactical equipment. You pay out the ass, but you only pay it once.

Novice

Post by Novice »

phridum wrote:It's safe enough to say that there are plenty of civilian grade optics that are worse quality than the high end clone optics. Burris and Leapers have optics on the shelves in many sporting good and hunting stores and they aren't known for being reliable or even "good". While many get away with using them on their firearms, this is largely because their skill and need level match the equipment.

Keep in mind that airsoft optics tend to shatter when hit with BBs, so some protect them with shields and whatnot. However, EOTECH, Aimpoint, and Trijicon are not only rated for combat use (and thus can withstand a measly plastic BB as well as IEDs and secondary fragmentation), they are highly warrantied against damage for life and are usually replaced due to any damage. That is the benefit of high end tactical equipment. You pay out the ass, but you only pay it once.
I somewhat suspected that those higher end optics meant for real steel guns had nice warranties. I now can see why someone in airsoft would buy one, especially if they had their airsoft optics break on them.