Going overboard

Improving FPS accuracy, range, ROF and painting/weathering

Moderators: JuiceWizard, redbull

Erebus
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Hemphill

Going overboard

Post by Erebus »

So, I have finally put the final touches on my DMR. I was trying to get near the DMR limit for Bad Blood, so I took a Classic Army G3 SG1 body and placed a 9mm King Arms gearbox with Guarder helix gears paired to a Guarder Infinite torque up motor in and matched it up with an Angel tight bore and an AB MOSFET. The gearbox was a real pain to fit the MOSFET to, and the spring strength had me worried it might blow up up my face. However I finally got it put together tonight and successfully dry fired it. So I headed to the chrono for the moment of truth. I ran a bunch of velocity and joule calculations ahead of time and I knew it was going to be close, but it should have come in just under. However, when I chronoed I, this is what I got.

And yeah, that is with .25s . . .

. . . What the hell have I done?

Obviously this will not be fielded until I downgrade the spring, but I have no idea how it generated this king of fps with the parts in it. . .
So yeah . . .

PS: This was running an M170
Last edited by Erebus on Wed May 09, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature and personality being remodeled

Taronkov
First Name: Timothy
Last Name: Smith

Re: Going overboard

Post by Taronkov »

Well we had no way to calculate certain aspects like how good a seal it would have for compression. Also I think I know why it's so high and how to drop it while keeping your 'monster' spring in there. I'll get you a compilation of the parts and reasons tonight.

DELTWIT
First Name: Anthony
Last Name: Pietropaolo

Post by DELTWIT »

Damn, I should give you guys my hk416 and some teflon!
Bring your best or get DELTWIT!

Erebus
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Hemphill

Post by Erebus »

Taronkov wrote:Well we had no way to calculate certain aspects like how good a seal it would have for compression. Also I think I know why it's so high and how to drop it while keeping your 'monster' spring in there. I'll get you a compilation of the parts and reasons tonight.
Well if it requires opening the gearbox back up I see no reason not to just downgrade the spring. I'm not particularly married to leaving the m170 in, but let me know what you got.
Signature and personality being remodeled

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Post by Moondog »

Erebus wrote:
Taronkov wrote:Well we had no way to calculate certain aspects like how good a seal it would have for compression. Also I think I know why it's so high and how to drop it while keeping your 'monster' spring in there. I'll get you a compilation of the parts and reasons tonight.
Well if it requires opening the gearbox back up I see no reason not to just downgrade the spring. I'm not particularly married to leaving the m170 in, but let me know what you got.
Downgrade the spring. A weaker spring will reduce wear on your gearbox and motor overall.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars