Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Guide: Traveling with airsoft guns

Post by Moondog »

GUIDELINES FOR TRAVELING WITH AIRSOFT GUNS
by Boss and Moondog

TRANSPORTATION BY MOTOR VEHICLE

• HANDLING OF AIRSOFT REPLICAS IN A MOVING VEHICLE IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED, EVER!

• Airsoft replica(s) should be stowed in in a case (locked if possible), UNLOADED and LOCKED in the automobile TRUNK with Magazines and BBs stored in a separate container(locked if possible).

• If you are in an SUV or other vehicle without a separate trunk, the Airsoft Replica MUST BE IN A LOCKED CASE with magazines and ammo in a SEPARATE LOCKED CASE. Both should be inaccessible to the driver or passenger (i.e. Not in the glove compartment.) if possible.

IF YOU ARE PULLED OVER BY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
• ANSWER all questions when ASKED, and answer POLITELY

• DO NOT volunteer any information unless directly asked

• DO NOT allow a search of your car for any reason (if you do condone a search your lawyer will not be able to disqualify ANYTHING they find in your car)

• DO NOT reach for anything without asking the officer if it is OK to do so. i.e. "Officer may I retrieve and show you the flyer for the event that I am going to attend today ?"

SUGGESTIONS FOR TRAVELING WITH AIRSOFT REPLICAS
• Include a copy of your AEGs owners guide, parts diagram or users manual in your airsoft replica case.

• If you are going to be traveling interstate we strongly suggest that your Airsoft replicas have their original orange tips installed. This simple act could avert a lot of hassles if you were to be pulled over for any reason. They are easy enough to swap out when you reach your intended AO.

• When traveling to a specific Airsoft event print out and bring the flyer of the event, your personal payment confirmation and any information pertaining to the event to corroborate your story of why you are traveling to your destination if you are pulled over/stopped for any reason

• Drive CONSERVATIVLEY so as not get pulled over in the first place, drive like Miss Daisy and save your agression for the field.

• If you are the driver/owner of the vehicle YOU are ultimately responsible for everything that happens in your vehicle. "In plain English if you touch, mess around, adjust, move, tweak or pull out a replica in my car I will stop my car and throw you and all your gear out on the side of the road!"

This might seem like a lot of RULES for just driving to a local game but it will do the following:
• keep a lot of "misunderstandings" from happening
• keep accidents or injuries from happening
• put law enforcement more "at ease" with the whole situation if you can confirm your story ... after all they're just doing their job

TRANSPORTATION BY AIR
• No airsoft replica(s) or magazines can be brought on as check in luggage on Domestic USA flights. All airsoft replica(s) and gear must be transported in check-in luggage with the same rules and restrictions as traveling with real firearms.

• Each airline has its own rules. You must call your airline prior to your flight and inform them that you will be traveling with airsoft replica(s) and find out their specific requirements. Hunters and sportsman often travel with their firearms so this is not an unusual request.

• TSA rules for transporting firearms: weapons must be stored in a hard, locked case (with TSA accessible locks), UNLOADED with magazines removed. Live ammunition may not be checked in.

For airsoft this means:
-Green gas, propane, or CO2 cartridges may NOT be transported or checked-in
-Magazines must be empty and removed from the magwell
-GBB Magazines must be empty of all gas and BBs
-Batteries should disconnected and separated from the AEGs
-BBs should be emptied from all replica(s) and stored in sealed bags
-Include a copy of your replica(s) manual if possible
-Include a copy of the flyer of the airsoft event you are traveling to
-Replica(s) should have an orange tip on the barrel

• You MUST declare that you are checking-in your replica(s) to the airline agent at ticketing. Inform them of its contents and the TSA requirements you have followed in packing the case.

REFERENCES
NRA-ILA Guide to the Interstate Transport of Firearms
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

NRA-ILA Guide to State Gun Laws
http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/

PFOA Interstate Transport GuidelinesInterstate Firearms Transport
http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-c ... earms.html

TSA Special Items Guidelines
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1666.shtm
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Keats
First Name: Nelson
Last Name: Pecora

Re: Guide: Traveling with airsoft guns

Post by Keats »

Does anyone know the laws about carrying airsoft stuff on the subway/LIRR? I've been looking around the Internet, but I can't find anything definite. I know that I can carry Iaito (unsharpened swords) legally on the subway if they're peace-bonded and in a bag (i.e. stored in a way where I can't immediately draw them) and if I'm carrying them to/from a practice space. Not sure if there are similar restrictions for airsoft.

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

Keats wrote:Does anyone know the laws about carrying airsoft stuff on the subway/LIRR? I've been looking around the Internet, but I can't find anything definite. I know that I can carry Iaito (unsharpened swords) legally on the subway if they're peace-bonded and in a bag (i.e. stored in a way where I can't immediately draw them) and if I'm carrying them to/from a practice space. Not sure if there are similar restrictions for airsoft.
Did you read this? http://nycairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=767
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

sk
First Name: Mr
Last Name: ski

Post by sk »

Keats wrote:Does anyone know the laws about carrying airsoft stuff on the subway/LIRR? I've been looking around the Internet, but I can't find anything definite. I know that I can carry Iaito (unsharpened swords) legally on the subway if they're peace-bonded and in a bag (i.e. stored in a way where I can't immediately draw them) and if I'm carrying them to/from a practice space. Not sure if there are similar restrictions for airsoft.
I don't think you can - As someone else mentioned on this forum, do you remember the "Which gun is illegal" style posters that were in the subway a few years ago? They basically said a replica, real gun, or anything in-between is illegal.

I found this:
New York City requires that all realistic toy or imitation firearms be made of clear or brightly colored plastics. Furthermore, New York City makes possession of any pistol or rifle or similar instrument in which the propelling force is a spring or air unlawful without a license. See New York City Administrative Code § 10-131(b) and New York City Administrative Code § 10-131(g)(1)(a).[21]
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issues_in_airsoft

From here (http://www.nysrpa.org/files/nyc-admincode.pdf) I found this:
b. Air pistols and air rifles; selling or possessing. 1. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer to sell or have in such person's possession any air pistol or air rifle or similar instrument in which the propelling force is a spring or air, except that the sale of such instruments if accompanied by delivery to a point without the city, and possession for such purpose, shall not be unlawful if such per son shall have secured an annual license from the police commissioner of the city authorizing such sale and possession. The sale and delivery of such instruments within the city from one licensee to another licensee, and the use of such instruments in connection with an amusement licensed by the department of consumer affairs or at rifle or pistol ranges duly authorized by law shall not be considered a violation of this subdivision.
So it looks like we can get a license for our airsoft guns IIRTC. How to get a license, I have no idea ....

EDIT:
Did you read this? viewtopic.php?f=82&t=767
Ah, that answers a lot. Thanks Moondog! So I'm wrong, can't get a license.
Former NEO FTL; Now rolling solo!

Keats
First Name: Nelson
Last Name: Pecora

Post by Keats »

Ahh, that answers a lot. Looks like it's taxi/car service + carpooling/zipcar, then.

NyCwill
First Name: William
Last Name: Tam

Post by NyCwill »

Should I be carrying my airsoft in this http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=31466 while taking the subway.
Will ppl/cops see it as a gun bag? Or should I put in a bag backpack. Im asking this because of the carpooling for stryker, we'll be meeting at one spot so ill be taking the subway to get there.

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

NyCwill wrote:Should I be carrying my airsoft in this http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=31466 while taking the subway.
Will ppl/cops see it as a gun bag? Or should I put in a bag backpack. Im asking this because of the carpooling for stryker, we'll be meeting at one spot so ill be taking the subway to get there.
Becausee of the MOLLE strips, it's more obvious its a gunbag or it's got a tactical look. Big backpack is probabbly better.

Ranger Psycho
First Name: Noah
Last Name: Bristol

Post by Ranger Psycho »

Moondog wrote: Becausee of the MOLLE strips, it's more obvious its a gunbag or it's got a tactical look. Big backpack is probabbly better.
In addition to that, I also recommend using padded hard cases (especially those which lock) and traveling with your airsoft gun disassembled.

Spears
First Name: adam
Last Name: Balhetchet

Post by Spears »

Anyone had luck w/ NYC airports? I'm thinking I should goto newark or something to avoid the "WTF your in NYC and your tryna transport a replica/bb gun M4, sig, night vision, and a bunch of tactical gear out of NYC?" kinda reaction. Overall just feels like a really uncomfortable situation to be in.
Facebook.com/Spearsmilsim Youtube.com/Spearsmilsim Youtube.com/Northeastoperators
Ops: Pine Plains 4, Pine Plains 6, Lion Claws: Red Storm East, Blacksheep@Pine Plains, Lion Claws: Lightning Strike III, Blacksheep@The Cove

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

The above article is based on my personal experience with flying with an airsoft gun on 2 separate occasions. I was allowed to check-in my AEGs and tac vest in luggage. Their main concern was if I was traveling with CO2 cartridges.

I suggest you do the same and include print outs of TSA regulations and printed posters of the game you're going to. The more professional/normal looking you and your luggage appear more you will be taken seriously and not taken for a kook.